Scorpions in oregon? Anyone?

reverendsterlin

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
from the links Kug posted I would have to guess a mordax(sp?) was what I had seen. I must say the one I saw was a solid dark color without the lighter colored tail.
Rev

TheNothing

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
funny this topic came up here
Before moving to PDX from Salt Lake I knew of the species in Oregon and have been looking for a time to do a lil hunting.

How about a good lil weekend camping w/ scorp hunting?

drapion

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
dude I'm down with that camping and scorp hunting sounds like what I do all summer.prang what do you think

prang11

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I was just down in coos-bay riding quads this weekend. Could have made the trip. With this current weather we are having it will set a trip back a ways. This summer or maybe on a nice weekend I will head down that way. Im still trying to convince my GF that this is a very reasonable trip. She still dose not beleive me, lol. :wall:

drapion

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
well keep trying to talk her in to it I'll wait for the good word

Marty

Arachnopeon
Critters

I'm new to the board and yes we have scorpions in Oregon. I live in Grants Pass and I want to know the best method of getting rid of the little buggers, I had one in the house the other night :mad: don't like that at all, any suggestion? Thanks Marty

Kugellager

ArachnoJester of the Ancient Ones
Arachnosupporter
Marty,

See the thing is...just about everyone here wants and has them in their house...on purpose...you'll find little or no sympathy here...

That said...pesticides are very ineffective on scorpions...They just don't work very well at killing them.

However, there are methods for keeping them out of and away from houses. Make sure there is not a lot of trash/litter around the yard near the house. Litter can be items like wood, cinderblocks, flower pots etc...basically anything that a scorpion can hide under and may attract other bugs that like to hide under things. Typically, scorpions that are house infesting have good areas to live around the house they are infesting. In areas where scorpion infestation is common many people have a ring of ceramic tiles around the lower part of the outside of the house to help keep the scorpiopns out. The glazed ceramic tiles are slippery and the scorpions have an extremely difficult time climbing up them. The places where the tiles are most critical are under the door threshold and window sills on the outside.

John
];')

thumpersalley

Roach Lovers Mom
Old Timer
Live in Albany, want to do a hunt

I live in ALbany just south of Portland & north of Eugene, my husband & I would love to a do a hunt asap. Anyone interested in some of the places discussed? Kim

Debswebs05

Arachnopeon
There are most definitely scorps in Oregon...right in the Eugene area there is a species of wood scorpion, kind of a dark reddish brown, unfortunately, I am not very well versed at species i.d. of scorps, but one was given to me as a gift-was found in the saucer of an outside plant. It seemed to enjoy the damp. We have a lot of that here. At Dexter resivoir, there is another species that lives among the rocks up the side of the dam. And then, in Eastern Oregon along the Columbia River, there is at least one species. When we lived there my youngest son was always bringing them home. He lost one under the stove-had a heck of a time recapturing that lil bugger. All of the above mentioned types look very different, but they are pretty small-under 2 and 1/2 inches. Very docile, though.

Xaranx

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I'm new to the board and yes we have scorpions in Oregon. I live in Grants Pass and I want to know the best method of getting rid of the little buggers, I had one in the house the other night :mad: don't like that at all, any suggestion? Thanks Marty
Gotta get rid of what the scorpions eat to get rid of em. Clean up all debris around/near the home like John suggested already, and make sure you have no bushes, trees, etc, touching your walls or roof, this is the way a lot of bugs make it inside the home.

Mr. Mordax

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Holy old thread revival, Batman!

That being said, the scorpion found often here in the Willamette Valley is Uroctonus mordax. I have an immature female caught in Eugene by a local entomologist this past spring. He's told me personally that they should be in great abundance in McDonald Forest just north of Corvallis. As soon as the weather warms up, I plan on going up there to hunt for them. The OSU Bug Zoo may be arranging a group hunt during spring break (last full week this month).

I'd love to set up a community of these little guys. :D

By the way, there's supposed to be six species of scorpion native to Oregon.

drapion

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Any time any of you want to go on a scorp huntin trip just let me know!!! I live in Medford and I know where to find all the U.mordax and P.boreus you will ever need!! I'm down to go any day during the summer or spring that I don't have to work..So just message me and we can put a trip together..

Darren

irimomof3

Arachnopeon
My husband found a scorpion at work the other day. Can you tell me how to set up a habitat for it and how to care for it?

thanks,

Michelle

Mr. Mordax

Arachnoking
Old Timer
That's . . . REALLY vague. And kind of a thread hijack.

Try posting a new thread, with a description of the scorpion and where you found it.

irimomof3

Arachnopeon
Wow, I'm sorry I didn't mean to hijak sheesh :8o

I found it here in Oregon so I thought I would reply in this thread, I guess I will find a friendlier board to find my answers.

P.jasonius

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
If you said you found it in oregon the reception would've been warmer. Don't let it scare you away. i'm sure someone can tell you how to set it up, but as a general rule you want to mimic the environment where you found it. I used to live in Washington, and I'm familiar with E. Washington, but not eastern Oregon, so I can't really tell you if you'll need a humid setup or an arid one. Give us a pic or detailed description and it'll help.

Mr. Mordax

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I'm sorry I came off so gruff. I shouldn't post so early in the morning. :eek:

Since there's six species native to Oregon requiring a variety of conditions, it would help to know where in Oregon you found it. Here in the Willamette Valley you're likely to find U. mordax which typically requires a humid environment. Other areas of the state stand a high chance of finding P. boreus which does better in drier conditions. As P. jasonius mentioned, the best bet until you figure out a species ID is to mimic the conditions in which you found it.

Best of luck!

Teal

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
I know, I know.. thread revival and whatnot!

I'm interested in finding some local scorpions too! I live in Newberg, OR but I'm more than happy to travel. I'd love if anyone could get in touch with me when they're heading out, or if they want to share locations to some good spots?

Mr. Mordax

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Check the hills, in areas that are facing the sun during the day. Look under rocks and bark.

I went looking in the Coast Range a few weeks ago and turned up eight scorpions in under an hour.