Scorpions at White Plains show?

Reitz

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Last year I was very disappointed to discover that scorpions were not allowed at the White Plains NY show. Does anyone know if they are this year?

Chris

MrDeranged

He Who Rules
Staff member
Nope, venemous stuff isn't allowed at White Plains. Some kind of town rule. You'll probably never see them there. Well, at least not openly.... ;)

Scott

Reitz

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
That doesn't make sense. All T's are venomous, yet they're allowed. In fact, last year I saw a Tiger Rump there (I think that's the common name), aren't they as dangerous as Pokies?

Also, are there any dealers going to White Plains that are comming through Poughkeepsie or at least the area? Maybe we could arrange a scorp sale on the fly.

Peace,
Chris

invertepet

Arachnolord
Old Timer
I for one have never heard of C. fasciatum being referred to as having venom as strong as Poecilotheria...

But a no-scorpion rule is silly if you consider spiders do have venom as well. As to centipedes and even millipedes, after a fashion.

bill

Reitz

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Sorry, the T I was refering to was a Psalmopoeus sp. Maybe chevron something? I don't know T's that well. The point is, you don't need a permit to own a scorp, and they're no more dangerous than most venomous inverts. Why the stigma?

Peace,
Chris

Philth

N.Y.H.C.
Old Timer
Bill,

How are millipedes venomous? Is there some kind of secretion they have on there outer shell?

invertepet

Arachnolord
Old Timer
Millipedes secrete toxins as a defense against being eaten, as opposed to using it to subdue prey or envenomate with fangs or stingers.

Usually, contact to millipede toxin only produces staining of the hands, and rarely, some blistering. What I've read has likened this to a kind of topical-exposure cyanide reaction.

Someone else may be able to enlighten as to what the exact protein/chemical components of the toxins include.

bill

JDK

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Originally posted by mrderanged
Nope, venemous stuff isn't allowed at White Plains. Some kind of town rule. You'll probably never see them there. Well, at least not openly.... ;)

Scott
As before, I was at the last one. My guess is that they don't know tarantulas are venemos, or poison dart frogs. How could something with poison in the name be poisonous?! Well anyway, During the last 45 minutes they made an announcement that all scorps. were illegal and eveyone put them under their tables.