Scorpions are good for medical science

The Snark

Dumpster Fire of the Gods
Old Timer
Not surprising at all considering the natural environment of numerous species is in the ultra bio-active detritus layers.

basin79

ArachnoGod
When I ever I see or read an animal is good for "medical science" I immediately feel sorry for the species as it basically means humans are about to exploit them.

schmiggle

Arachnoking
When I ever I see or read an animal is good for "medical science" I immediately feel sorry for the species as it basically means humans are about to exploit them.
One of the lead study authors found a way to synthesize the chemical in a lab much more cheaply than it would take to get the same amount of venom from a scorpion, because venom extraction is extremely expensive. The same guy gets quoted on all the news release saying that it costs $39 million to produce a gallon of the stuff, which is prohibitively expensive on any kind of industrial scale. So it sounds like they'll just make it all artificially without harming any more scorpions.

basin79

ArachnoGod
One of the lead study authors found a way to synthesize the chemical in a lab much more cheaply than it would take to get the same amount of venom from a scorpion, because venom extraction is extremely expensive. The same guy gets quoted on all the news release saying that it costs $39 million to produce a gallon of the stuff, which is prohibitively expensive on any kind of industrial scale. So it sounds like they'll just make it all artificially without harming any more scorpions.
Super.

VolkswagenBug

Arachnobaron
Horseshoe crabs say hi.
Or, they would if they weren't overhunted for their blood.