Scorpion With Two Tails

CheckThrust

ArachnoPilot
Old Timer
I’ve had my colony of C. sculpturatus (roughly 30) for about 10 months and up until a week ago I’ve had zero babies. Now, 4 females have given birth within 8 days of one another. The first brood just molted to 2i today which was pretty exciting but as I was separating the newest mother from the rest of the group I noticed something unusual about one of the babies... it has two tails!

After doing some research, it looks like it’s not super uncommon for scorpions to be born with two tails but most don’t make it to adulthood due to issues with molting. I’m really hoping this little guy/gal pulls through!

3E913DBC-BDBC-4530-881D-C8C67F46B7F3.jpeg

Ferrachi

Arachnoprince
That is super cool and rare to physically witness ! I have seen footages online but never have I actually seen one in person... Congrats !! and I also hope the little pulls through as well... Please keep us posted :)

Chebe6886

Arachnobaron
That’s WILD curious to see if both are functional. Def keep us posted

GordoOldman

Arachnoknight
Pretty cool when it happens...I have caught wild adults (sculpturatus, and vittatus) that had duel metasoma...so they can make it through ecdysis apparently if conditions are right. I hope you are able to enjoy that little oddball for a long time!
I find it interesting how deeply it (your little one) appears divided into the mesasoma.

Very cool, thanks for sharing!

CheckThrust

ArachnoPilot
Old Timer
I’ll be sure to keep you guys updated. In other news, mom #5 gave birth to 12 babies this morning bringing the total to 52-60 babies.
I have at least 5 more that look like they’re ready to pop any day now. Not sure what I’m going to do with 100+ baby sculpturatus! 😂

Ferrachi

Arachnoprince
I’ll be sure to keep you guys updated. In other news, mom #5 gave birth to 12 babies this morning bringing the total to 52-60 babies.
I have at least 5 more that look like they’re ready to pop any day now. Not sure what I’m going to do with 100+ baby sculpturatus! 😂
That's awesome !! 100 plus babies... please post photos when their all roaming around :rofl:

Arthroverts

Arachnoking
Hey, so, don't take this as weird, but I collect scorpions as a hobby, and I would be so pleased to get my hands on some of these...

;)

Thanks,

Arthroverts

Chebe6886

Arachnobaron
Share?

CheckThrust

ArachnoPilot
Old Timer
Hey, so, don't take this as weird, but I collect scorpions as a hobby, and I would be so pleased to get my hands on some of these...

;)

Thanks,

Arthroverts
I’ll more than likely make them available when they molt to 3rd instar!

UPDATE: 7 moms have now given birth and the baby count is somewhere between 65-70.
The first brood of 13 has left mom and is currently munching on fruit flies. The second brood of 5 has molted but hasn’t left mom yet. The rest are all doing well.
There are at least 4-5 more pregnant females so there should be more babies on the way!

Chebe6886

Arachnobaron
Definitely shoot me a message when the time comes. This is a species I’ve had my eye on and likely do a small communal

CheckThrust

ArachnoPilot
Old Timer
Definitely shoot me a message when the time comes. This is a species I’ve had my eye on and likely do a small communal
Will do! I really love these little guys. They’re truly fascinating to watch. Even my girlfriend who “hates them” loves to just sit and watch them catch prey and explore their enclosure.

Ferrachi

Arachnoprince
Will do! I really love these little guys. They’re truly fascinating to watch. Even my girlfriend who “hates them” loves to just sit and watch them catch prey and explore their enclosure.
Any new photos on the little one with 2 tails ? :)

Ratmosphere

Arachnoking
Woah! Never seen that before. Hope the boi lives a long healthy life!

LMacWilliam

Arachnopeon
Sorry im new to keeping scorpions. But what size enclosure would you need for 30 scorpions? surely that must be massive! any photos would be greatly appreciated. Thank you

Ferrachi

Arachnoprince
Sorry im new to keeping scorpions. But what size enclosure would you need for 30 scorpions? surely that must be massive! any photos would be greatly appreciated. Thank you
Do you have any scorpions at the moment ?