Scorpion with hurt leg?

Scorpionkid

Arachnosquire
So I bought an Emperor Scorpion from an exotic pet store, but as soon as I got home I noticed that it was barely moving one of its legs (the back left one). I thought about returning it but the pet store was closed, and I was leaving the area early the next day. It’s been about 2 or 3 weeks, and it hasn’t improved. Other than the leg, she seems to be thriving, as she eats regularly and is very active at night. Any suggestions?
Thanks

Mordax

Arachnopeon
I mean, if the scorpion is fine other than that I don't see the problem. Idk, special needs scorpion doesn't sound like the worst pet. But I'm new to the hobby, and perhaps a messed up leg is symptomatic of a larger issue.

Scorpionkid

Arachnosquire
Yes, she is not giving me any problems, I just wanted to see if it would effect her.

RoachCoach

Arachnodemon
Enjoy your newly minted differently abled bug. You will love it. They are a bit more challenging to care for but that just means you get to learn more. If you find it a bit much there are probably a stadiums worth of people here more than happy to have it. Got a crippled spider and he is a badass.

Dry Desert

Arachnoprince
So I bought an Emperor Scorpion from an exotic pet store, but as soon as I got home I noticed that it was barely moving one of its legs (the back left one). I thought about returning it but the pet store was closed, and I was leaving the area early the next day. It’s been about 2 or 3 weeks, and it hasn’t improved. Other than the leg, she seems to be thriving, as she eats regularly and is very active at night. Any suggestions?
Thanks
She/ he will be fine, as darkness 975 says if the scorpion feels bothered by it, it will remove the injured leg itself. If the scorpion is feeding well and active all is well.

Scorpionkid

Arachnosquire
Hey everyone, I know you guys said she would self-amputate if necessary, but she hasn’t yet and the leg is now emitting a nasty rotting smell. I almost think that she has lost feeling in that leg, because it has been twisted around a lot, and if I lightly scrape it with my fingernail, she seems completely oblivious, unlike if I do it to any of the other legs, where she immediately gets defensive (don’t worry, I am being very careful, and I have only done this once).
I am very concerned at this point, and any info on what might be the problem is greatly appreciate.
Thanks!

Scorpiobsession

Arachnobaron
It sounds like it's becoming infected with bacteria. You do NOT want the leg to attract maggots. I had to euthanize my scorpion from them. If she's not using or moving it then I would take it off. To take it off I would take a scalpel and cut it off from a distance or take long-handled wire cutters and try cutting it off.

Dry Desert

Arachnoprince
And would scissors or a razor blade work?
Have a tempoary enclosure ready, not too large, with just clean slightly dampned kitchen tissue in and a clean low hide, that the scorpion will feel secure in. Make sure you use cleaned Very sharp scissors and cut off the first joint - the joint nearest the foot - and see what comes out - if it's clean fluid then that should heal over. If it's still bad and smelly you may have to cut the next joint in.When it seems clear and clean pop the scorpion into the temporary enclosure and leave to settle. It needs to be in there as it's fairly sterile and free from ant nasties in the normal substrate. Leave well alone and it should settle after a while of roaming and recover.

Joey Spijkers

Arachnoprince
I once had to amputate a scorpions chela. I did it with sharp scissors, and after the amputation, I put vaseline on the wound because it is hydrophobic. This way he wouldn’t loose any hemolymph. I don’t know if it is completely necessary, but I was worried about him loosing too much hemolymph and it worked. He has been doing very well ever since. This was 1,5 years ago.

Scorpionkid

Arachnosquire
Ok, Thank you so much! We are currently on the road out of town, and are not really in position to do this, do you think the scorpion can last 2 more days?

Joey Spijkers

Arachnoprince
Ok, Thank you so much! We are currently on the road out of town, and are not really in position to do this, do you think the scorpion can last 2 more days?
Just do it as quickly as possible. If it is an infection it could spread. But if you’re not in a position to do it now, there is no other option I guess. I don’t know the exact state of the leg, so can’t give you a definitive yes/no answer.
And what should I sterilize the scissors with?
A high percentage alcohol would work well.

Scorpionkid

Arachnosquire
Hey all! I had to cut the leg off almost all the way to the body, but there is still brown stuff in it and it also still smells. Should I cut the last segment off or just try to cover up the wound with something? Thanks! image.jpg And sorry about the photo, the scorpion wasn’t to pleased after the amputation.

Dry Desert

Arachnoprince
Hey all! I had to cut the leg off almost all the way to the body, but there is still brown stuff in it and it also still smells. Should I cut the last segment off or just try to cover up the wound with something? Thanks! View attachment 382808 And sorry about the photo, the scorpion wasn’t to pleased after the amputation.
I would leave as is now, too much stress won't be good. Try and purchase some Germoline, it's the pink stuff like Vasaline but with an antiseptic added. Put some on the cut joint and clean off and repeat daily. Make sure the scorpion is placed in the temporary sterile enclosure, to prevent any substrate crap sticking to or further infecting the joint. That's all I can suggest now, it's up to the scorpion now, and hope you caught the infection in time.
You will probably be best to go to a good pet shop and purchase either F10 Antiseptic or Tamodine, both used for reptiles and small animals, always a little tricky with inverts, but F10 or Tamodine will be okay.

Last edited:

Scorpionkid

Arachnosquire
Alright, I have been looking for germolene and tamodine locally, but I can only find it online, and it takes a few days to get here. Would calendula cream work in the meantime?
Thanks