Scorpion vs spider

Aztek

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
So, it's been four years.
I was goign to post this but found this.
Someone can look at some info already given and not repeat it.

Trexer

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
At the end of the day, Spider lovers are going to say Spiders rule and a scorpion lover will say scorpions rule. So in conclusion spiders suck and scorpions rule because yes thats right im a scorpion lover :p Scorpions are just amazing, they are armored with crushing claws and a big deadly tail. If spiders were going up against scorpions then a scorpion could just hold the spider with its claws, crush it and sting it to death before the spider could even get its fangs into the scorp because the scorps have range with their tails. So it doesnt matter how toxic the spider is if its gonna get nailed before it even gets a chance to bite the scorp, and alot of the deadly toxic spiders won't even have big enough fangs to penetrate the scorpions armor. But another factor in play with this type of things is the attitude of the scorpion/spider, sometimes a specie of scorpion will beat a specie of spider and then the same specie of spider will beat the same specie of scorpion depending on its behaviour. One of them could be really aggresive while the other one could try and flee but get killed in the process. The question is, who's side will you be on when the war begins? :D

Sevenrats

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Some of you guys are calling these animals killing machines and mean and nasty. They are none of those things.

You are, however, idiots.

scotty

Arachnopeon
Does anyone respect the lives of the crickets? They are all invertebrates incapable of any thought, pain or emotion.

Hypocrites.

errit

Arachnolord
Old Timer
It has been a while since the last post on this subject,
but i may have heard something conclusive on this matter onthe national geopgraphic channel there is a show called the world's worst venom.
in the end of the show a scientis said the venom potency measured on other animals (like used in ld50 tests on mice) are not representable on humans. so he used human tissue on venom samples of various animals. he used human hart tissue and added an equal amount of venom of different types of venomous animals. the conslusion was that the inland taipan had the worsed venom, and the funnelweb spider's venom had more destructive power on the human tissue than the scorpion leiurus quinquestriatus. so the conclusion is that a bite from this spider, when giving the same quantity of venom, is worse that a sting from this scorpion.

he diddn't mention other types of spiders like phoneutria or sicarius (although the black widow was considerd significantly less toxic) but he did say that scorpions seem to pose a greater threat because they do seem to sting more people and therefore kill more people.

so maybe the athropode with the most toxic venom for a human being is the sidney funnel web spider......

signinsimple

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
so maybe the athropode with the most toxic venom for a human being is the sidney funnel web spider......
I too saw a national geographic or discovery channel episoide on venom toxicity and the funnel web spider. Apparently, and for reasons no one has been able to conjecture (at the time of the show), the venom of the funnel web spider is eerily optimized for primates nervous systems and no one seems to know why. The same spider can bite a dog or a cat and nothing would happen to the animal (again, debates abound as to why).

That's part of the reason why I do not understand postings like this one. The question "What has the most deadly venom, scorpion or spider?" is too obscure of a question. Deadly how? Funnel Webs are deadly to people but harmless to dogs, cats, and tons of other animals.

Venom targets systems, so I do not believe it makes sense to ask which venom is more potent without mentioning which particular system you are referring to when you ask about the venom.

errit

Arachnolord
Old Timer
That's part of the reason why I do not understand postings like this one. The question "What has the most deadly venom, scorpion or spider?" is too obscure of a question. Deadly how? Funnel Webs are deadly to people but harmless to dogs, cats, and tons of other animals.

Venom targets systems, so I do not believe it makes sense to ask which venom is more potent without mentioning which particular system you are referring to when you ask about the venom.

I'v always been curious to know wich type of venom from wich species has the worst effect on a human. even though this is not neccesarily the case on animals. i know L.Q can kill a dog and a funnelweb cannot. i guess its venom has evolved to be particularly dangerous to primates. maybe this has to do with its evolution for primates having these spiders for dinner every time. and other animals don't. i don't know.

Although my reason for this question is the same reason for any other question. it is based on my curiosity. It is just difficult to get the answer on this one.
another reason to doubt this research is to question why only heart tissue was used. i don't know if the venom has the same effect on the nerves:?

dtknow

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Does anyone respect the lives of the crickets? They are all invertebrates incapable of any thought, pain or emotion.

Hypocrites.
fallacy.

*inserted to increase message to required length*

signinsimple

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I'v always been curious to know wich type of venom from wich species has the worst effect on a human. even though this is not neccesarily the case on animals. i know L.Q can kill a dog and a funnelweb cannot. i guess its venom has evolved to be particularly dangerous to primates. maybe this has to do with its evolution for primates having these spiders for dinner every time. and other animals don't. i don't know.

Although my reason for this question is the same reason for any other question. it is based on my curiosity. It is just difficult to get the answer on this one.
another reason to doubt this research is to question why only heart tissue was used. i don't know if the venom has the same effect on the nerves:?
From what I've seen and read, no one knows why funnel web spiders venom developed to be as dangerous to primates as it is. It could be accidental evolution (i.e. the same venom that is optimal for disbling their prey happens to be dangerous to primates..australia always has had very strange evolutionary paths)

I don't know why they used heart tissue either. From what I know, most scorpion venom is mainly neurotoxic which means it targets nervous systems instead of heart tissue (hemotoxic venom tagets red blood cells and heart tissue..alot of snakes have this kind of venom). Cytotoxic venom (like in brown recluse spiders) target cells in general, but I'm not sure if the venom would make it's way to the heart. Strange test. Not sure how meaningful the results would be.