Scorpion venom used to treat Brain Cancer

TomM

Arachnobaron of Pennsylvania
Old Timer
I thought some of you might like reading this:

"Medical researchers at the University of Alabama at Birmingham (UAB) have discovered a new use for scorpion venom—in cancer medication. Each year, some 9,000 Americans are diagnosed with malignant glioma, a form of brain cancer that kills about half its victims within a year of diagnosis.Glioma cells work a lot like cockroach muscle cells. And while that fact is pretty disgusting, it also got UAB researchers thinking about the giant Israeli scorpion, whose venom is harmless to humans but deadly to its cockroach prey. Doctors found that when they injected a drug derived from the venom of giant Israeli scorpions into cancer-infected human brains, the poison destroyed the glioma cells and left surrounding, healthy cells alone. The treatment is still in the early stages of development, but researchers remain optimistic."
From <http://www.mentalfloss.com/blogs/archives/13094>

Kathy

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
I'm sure there are so many thing in nature that can benefit mankind. Hopefully this will turn out to be one of them.

Chrome69

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
by "giant israeli scorpions" they mean specifically Leiurus Quinquistriatus from what I've heard.

Vfox

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
by "giant israeli scorpions" they mean specifically Leiurus Quinquistriatus from what I've heard.
Somehow I don't think that qualifies to be in the "harmless to humans" category. They are probably talking about the Scorpio maurus palmatus or a similar scorpion. LQ's are certainly NOT the one in question.

Envyizm

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I've read articles in the past where Cuban scientist have found possible cures for cancer from Rhopalurus junceus. I've also read some British and American based science articles explaining possible cures from Parabuthus transvaalicus and Leiurus quinquestriatus. LQs are supposed to hold a cure for breast cancer as well, use the search function to find the article because the link is posted on AB.

Michiel

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I thought some of you might like reading this:

"Medical researchers at the University of Alabama at Birmingham (UAB) have discovered a new use for scorpion venom—in cancer medication. Each year, some 9,000 Americans are diagnosed with malignant glioma, a form of brain cancer that kills about half its victims within a year of diagnosis.Glioma cells work a lot like cockroach muscle cells. And while that fact is pretty disgusting, it also got UAB researchers thinking about the giant Israeli scorpion, whose venom is harmless to humans but deadly to its cockroach prey. Doctors found that when they injected a drug derived from the venom of giant Israeli scorpions into cancer-infected human brains, the poison destroyed the glioma cells and left surrounding, healthy cells alone. The treatment is still in the early stages of development, but researchers remain optimistic."
From <http://www.mentalfloss.com/blogs/archives/13094>
Just a remark:

they might have invented new methods, the use of scorpion venom to treat certain form of cancer, tumors etc is being performed for at least 10 years in Cuba, using R.junceus venom. So that is not new. Because of all the research and rules concerning the making of medicines, the research takes very long and so it can take decades before commercial medicines are produced.

Besides this: isn't it incredibly interesting that these venoms (or their components) seem to seek out only the malignant cells? Maybe, in 10-20 years whe could treat these terrible diseases... Truely amazing.

TomM

Arachnobaron of Pennsylvania
Old Timer
Besides this: isn't it incredibly interesting that these venoms (or their components) seem to seek out only the malignant cells? Maybe, in 10-20 years whe could treat these terrible diseases... Truely amazing.
I know! It's completely insane! I just hope that these findings become common knowledge so that there is a little more respect for scorpions and other invertebrates.

JesseD

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I think venom is probably one of the world's greatest secrets, but it won't be for long. Would be great to find out if we could make a living off of selling scorpion venom to pharmaceutical companies for research. Ahhh now didn't I give everyone a good idea. I figure since there isn't many people on our planet that are willing to deal with deadly creatures like we do this is something that could be worth it. I remember seeing a family that milk black widows for a living. I'm sure there are procedures to follow and even having to be a medical doctor would maybe even have to be part of it knowing how society works these days. . . Ok so let's discuss.....

I do remember also watching a PBS - Nature episode called "Venom Cure" that I believe talks about a scorpion and it's venom possessing a radioactive isotope that specifically kills brain cancer cells.