scorpion thinks it is a spider

Wolfe5467

Arachnopeon
So I got an exoterra terranium mini for my asian forest scorpion and she is climbing on the ceiling of terranium why? XD

Albireo Wulfbooper

Arachnoprince
She fell down will she be ok XD
It really depends. how big is the scorp relative to the distance fallen? did it/could it fall on something hard or edged like a water dish or stone? There's no blanket answer for this that will be meaningful if you don't provide context.

As for why your scorpion is climbing on the ceiling: because it can.

Wolfe5467

Arachnopeon
It really depends. how big is the scorp relative to the distance fallen? did it/could it fall on something hard or edged like a water dish or stone? There's no blanket answer for this that will be meaningful if you don't provide context.

As for why your scorpion is climbing on the ceiling: because it can.
it was like 4 inches onto substrate and she is an adult she is moving around tho seems to be ok

darkness975

Latrodectus
Arachnosupporter +
So I got an exoterra terranium mini for my asian forest scorpion and she is climbing on the ceiling of terranium why? XD
No. Re arrange the tank so it can't reach the lid.
Post a picture

The Snark

Dumpster Fire of the Gods
Old Timer
Not quite understanding all this. Their native habitat is a thick messy bug filled detritus that lends well to their avoiding light. They neither need nor benefit from anything else.

Albireo Wulfbooper

Arachnoprince
Oh. The display thing and apparently nowhere to avoid the light.
Ah. Yeah those backing boards are useless. I basically have a big bin of dirt with a chunk of cork bark and a plastic lid in it. Not the most display-friendly pets in the world :rofl:

The Snark

Dumpster Fire of the Gods
Old Timer
Not the most display-friendly pets in the world
Always a point of contention. What comes first, the animal's comfort and contentment or turning it into a display object. Personally I revert to the in situ philosophy when in doubt. The animal evolved into a niche in natural environments where it is most adapted. Then follow Steve Irwin's line of thought - a natural habitat with a display area attached for some of the animals but the animal always afforded a retreat, away from disturbance, taking into account the sensory abilities of the animal.

Steve applied this philosophy as best seen in the croc rescues. Some were never 'put on display'. Some were returned to the wild. They were simply deemed unsuitable, unable to feel comfort and contentment anywhere near humans.

Last edited:

Dr SkyTower

Arachnolord
The scorpion can climb up that backing thing - you'd be surprised at what they can climb on to gain their freedom! Its a cute setup, but there should be more places for it to hide and get away from the light. The tank doesn't need to be tall - wide is good, they can't climb up glass (they like to burrow so the substrate should be moist). Falling that far onto a hard surface can injure it, and their little foot claws can get stuck in the mesh at the top of the cage, luckily she was able to let go and fall down.