Scorpion tank size

scorpolover2000

Arachnopeon
Hi there, i'm new to this but i've been planning to get my first scorpion (an asian forest scorpion) for like a year now and the reason why it s taken me so long is vos i want everything to be perfect. but the only thing that's stopping me is that it's been so difficult for me to find a perfect tank for my scorpion. does anyone know any good links to tanks/terrariums that also delivers in Uk? i think i might end up buying the exo terra tanks but i don't know if i should get the 30cmx30cmx30cm and if that will be enough space for asian forest scorpion or spend a bit more and get a 45x45x45 or will that be too big?

FrankiePinchinatti

Arachnoknight
You are probably severely overthinking things. You could save quite a bit of money and just get a plain 10 gallon tank. Most scorpions are not at all picky with their enclosure, just make sure they have plenty of moist coco fiber, a bit of heat and a place to hide. After that the only maintenance they require is keeping the humidity up and throwing in the occasional food item.

Lubed Tweezer

Arachnolord
You can do with 30x30cm, but since most adult Heterometrus species grow up to 11-15cm in length I would recommend getting the 45x45cm.
'Rule of thumb' is 3x length of the scorpion. I'm sure you can find multiple webshops that deliver in the UK.
If you are searching for scorpion webshops you probably won't find much, try searching for tarantula webshops since the 'T-hobby' is much larger.
Personally i would recommend visiting one or more invertebrate shows/meetings. (there are several in the UK)
Prices are more friendly, you can look at the product with your own eyes, feel with your own hands.
Besides enclosures you can also find heating, substrate and decoration at those shows, they are a real good 'one stop shop' and a nice day out.
Take @FrankiePinchinatti's words as an experienced guide, when starting out don't overthink too much. Nobody reaches perfection at the first try.
Just start somewhere and tailor it to you and your scorpions needs.
"Practice makes perfect".

Dr SkyTower

Arachnolord
that smaller size enclosure would be good for a juvenile, they take a few years to grow up. Then they'd need to be rehoused into a bigger enclosure of course once they're a big tanky adult!

scorpolover2000

Arachnopeon
You are probably severely overthinking things. You could save quite a bit of money and just get a plain 10 gallon tank. Most scorpions are not at all picky with their enclosure, just make sure they have plenty of moist coco fiber, a bit of heat and a place to hide. After that the only maintenance they require is keeping the humidity up and throwing in the occasional food item.
It's true i am, i have a tendency to do this paha and cos it's my first ever "pet" i want it to be nice for my future lil dude. and idk where everyone else is getting cheap 10 gallon tanks from in the uk but i've searched everywhere online for one but they all end up being expensive so i gave up and thought i'd just buy an exoterra terrarium if i'm gon pay that much anyway. thank you for your advice :))

scorpolover2000

Arachnopeon
You can do with 30x30cm, but since most adult Heterometrus species grow up to 11-15cm in length I would recommend getting the 45x45cm.
'Rule of thumb' is 3x length of the scorpion. I'm sure you can find multiple webshops that deliver in the UK.
If you are searching for scorpion webshops you probably won't find much, try searching for tarantula webshops since the 'T-hobby' is much larger.
Personally i would recommend visiting one or more invertebrate shows/meetings. (there are several in the UK)
Prices are more friendly, you can look at the product with your own eyes, feel with your own hands.
Besides enclosures you can also find heating, substrate and decoration at those shows, they are a real good 'one stop shop' and a nice day out.
Take @FrankiePinchinatti's words as an experienced guide, when starting out don't overthink too much. Nobody reaches perfection at the first try.
Just start somewhere and tailor it to you and your scorpions needs.
"Practice makes perfect".
I finally got over my indecisiveness and bought a different terrarium that's 45x45x30! a nice halfway paha. And yes, after nearly a year of researching I've realised tarantulas are more popular than scorpions and just search for tarantula stuff since the requirements for both are similar.

I was actually planning to go an invert show in bristol last year with my then boyfriend but the plans fell through but hopefully i'll be able to go this year at one point and go check it out. and thank you for the advice i really appreciate it and you're right i do need to stop overthinking and just get started on it. Ive finally ordered a tank now so things should be underway soon enough paha :))

scorpolover2000

Arachnopeon
That's similar to the enclosure I originally bought! but some of the panel sides broke during postage and so when i was fitting it together it wasn't so stable sadly

scorpolover2000

Arachnopeon
that smaller size enclosure would be good for a juvenile, they take a few years to grow up. Then they'd need to be rehoused into a bigger enclosure of course once they're a big tanky adult!
I ended up buying an enclosure that's 45x45x30 so hopefully that will be big enough when it's an adult also :)

FrankiePinchinatti

Arachnoknight
It's true i am, i have a tendency to do this paha and cos it's my first ever "pet" i want it to be nice for my future lil dude. and idk where everyone else is getting cheap 10 gallon tanks from in the uk but i've searched everywhere online for one but they all end up being expensive so i gave up and thought i'd just buy an exoterra terrarium if i'm gon pay that much anyway. thank you for your advice :))
You guys don't have brick and mortar pet stores over there that sell fish tanks? Or you could check something like craigslist (I don't know if you have that there or not) or facebook marketplace to see if someone is selling used ones, here they are practically giving them away.