Scorpion sting sheets and tips?

neubii18

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
As many probably know,I keep a variety of fat tail scorpions that are very HOT.I had a dream last night I was stung by my big female A.australis:rolleyes:,and got to thinking, "What will I do when I'm stung?".Now obviously I'm not planning on getting tagged,but I am aware the risks of keeping such toxic animals and would like to be prepared should I get tagged.

So something I'd like to do is printout paper's on the venom of the species of scorpions I keep so if I had to get taken to the ER, they could have an idea with what they're dealing with.I'm thinking something like the LD50 value,as well as common sypmtoms of being envenomated and some properties of the venom that should be noted.Does anyone know of any papers like this?In specific for species I'd need Androctonus australis,Androctonus bicolor,Parabuthus transvaalicus,Parabuthus leiosoma( I know they're not considered deadly,but I've never been stung so I have no clue how my body will react) and Hottentotta hottentotta(same story as the P.leiosoma).I would really appreciate any information that would help with this.

Also, I just wanted some tips as to what to do when I'm stung.I know you're supposed to stay calm,but what else?Should I pop some Advil or run the sting site under warm water?Stuff like that.I'd really appreciate any help so I can be prepared if this should ever happen.

It would also be helpful to hear what those of you who have been tagged by hots did when it happened.This may seem silly, but I really feel it should be done.Thanks!

Michiel

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I'll send you the "basic emergency form" I use myself as an example.

2nscorpx

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Great question! I have also had a similar question. I think that, if you do not have an Epipen or something similar, an antihistamine such as Benadryl, etc. can be used.

StreetTrash

Arachnoknight
Great question! I have also had a similar question. I think that, if you do not have an Epipen or something similar, an antihistamine such as Benadryl, etc. can be used.
I believe such things are used to calm allergic reactions. To my knowledge they do not alter the effects of envenomation that does not cause allergic reactions.

I could be mistaken though as I'm no doctor.

2nscorpx

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
@StreetTrash, sorry, that is what I meant. You are completely right.

@Michiel, sorry, send me one too!:D

StreetTrash

Arachnoknight
No harm done friend. No apology necessary. It's not like you beat my grandmother LOL.

tdark1

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I believe such things are used to calm allergic reactions. To my knowledge they do not alter the effects of envenomation that does not cause allergic reactions.

I could be mistaken though as I'm no doctor.
Epipens are utilized to treat people going/or in anaphylactic shock... Benadryl is merely an antihistamine (which typically will calm an allergic reaction, but I doubt it would pull someone out of anaphylactic shock).

pavel

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Sounds like something that would be very beneficial if it could be loaded or linked in a post and then set as a "sticky"

neubii18

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I'll send you the "basic emergency form" I use myself as an example.
I would really appreciate that.It does sound like something that should be posted and made into a sticky.

I was wondering the same thing.Seems like it could be beneficial to have just in case you start to have an allergic reaction.Does anyone know how hard it is to get one?I'm assuming you need a prescription?

Also,just thought I'd tell everyone I got tagged by a local P. silvestrii in the field today while collecting.I was trying to prod it into a deli cup with my hards instead of using my tongs:wall: and it decided to give me a little game of tag I'm it.I feel I should note that I'd never handle a hot scorpion anything like this,I just got super comfortable with the local species so I like to use my hands.The sting didn't even really hurt.Just gave me a tingly sensation throughout the finger for about an hour.Happened just over 2 hours ago.It was kinda funny,I sent Matt(RedRumpSlump) a text message right after it happened saying I got tagged by a silvestrii and he read the first part saying,"Dude I got tagged by a..." and thought I was gonna say A.australis.Anyways,just had to share:D

MrMatt

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
An epipen would be of little use unless you have an anaphylactic reaction which typically would not be your first concern, or at least not mine. Inappropriately administering one could do much more damage then good especially in the event of a serious envenomation. What you would need is anti-venom (good luck finding it here) scorpion venom has a whole slew of cardic/neurotoxins and I seem to recall death typically occurs from asphyxiation due to paralysis of the diaphragm. The ER could easily manage your airway in that event so your bigger issue might be the cardiac aspect. A print out like what Michiel mentioned would be good, but no self administering of drugs please and please don't get stung you seem like a nice guy and I'd hate to see you and or the hobby die due to a mishap ;)

StreetTrash

Arachnoknight
I see what you mean. An epipen administers epinephrine, or in other words adrenaline. You heart rate would increase and pump the venom through the system faster right? PLus would the increased heart rate compound the cardiotoxic effects?

neubii18

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
An epipen would be of little use unless you have an anaphylactic reaction which typically would not be your first concern, or at least not mine. Inappropriately administering one could do much more damage then good especially in the event of a serious envenomation. What you would need is anti-venom (good luck finding it here) scorpion venom has a whole slew of cardic/neurotoxins and I seem to recall death typically occurs from asphyxiation due to paralysis of the diaphragm. The ER could easily manage your airway in that event so your bigger issue might be the cardiac aspect. A print out like what Michiel mentioned would be good, but no self administering of drugs please and please don't get stung you seem like a nice guy and I'd hate to see you and or the hobby die due to a mishap ;)
Well then,thanks for that!I was seriously considering getting one,but I'm glad you posted this so I wouldn't inject my self neglegently and make things worse.I don't think a sting from an adult Andro australis needs any help being bad:D But I take extreme caution whenever dealing with my hots.No hand goes in the cage for any reason unless the scorpion is removed first.I use tongs for everything, so you guys shouldn't see me posting in the sting reports for Andros or Parabuthus any time soon.Now as for the local scorpions,that's a different story...

Michiel

Arachnoking
Old Timer
@asn, you have mail.

The people that asked for a form, please PM me your e-mail.

I agree with Matt. Please don't buy medication or an Epipen because people on internet say so. ALWAYS consult your physician first!
Over the counter Anti-hystamines do NOT replace an Epipen.....this is like comparing a little 250 gram hammer with a sledgehammer...

Anti-hystamines like Benadryl, Tavegil can stop mild allergic reactions and an Epipen (or the newer Anapen) is administered with the first symptoms of anaphylaxis (by the way, there is a difference between an anaphylactic reaction and a anaphylactoid reaction. True anaphylactic reactions are rare).
An Epipen injects 0.3 mg epinefrine (an adrenalin) into your system. I injected myself once accidently (showing my wife how to administer in case of emergency :) LOL), and my heartrate shot into the air and I felt it pounding in my chest, sweating, feeling hyperactive, I talked non-stop for 20 minutes and then the hyper feeling subsided....

@ Streetthrash,

Adrenaline relaxes the bronchids in the lungs causing the respiratory system to be able to function, but it also lowers the bloodpressure, because it is like someones pinches the vains. But because the heartrate also becomes much higher, the heart will pump very powerfull so the circulatory system does not fail, pulling the patient out of the anaphylactic shock.....

I believe todays treatment is much more the treatment of the symptoms, than to simply pour anti-venom in a patient.
Miami Dade Florida has (polyvalent) anti-venoms for most scorpions..

Kugellager

ArachnoJester of the Ancient Ones
Arachnosupporter
Also, as everyone should know, there are two stickies at the top of this forum with all sorts of links to emergency information and our sting report forum.

John
];')