Scorpion size

fried rice

Arachnoknight
I have heard heterometrus and pandinus species can get 8 inches, but I dont believe that. Lasiodora parahybanas can get 8 inches but a lot of people think they can get 10 inches. Is this true or are people exaggerating their size?

Arthroverts

Arachnoking
I believe it is true; remember that you can't necessarily extrapolate tarantula "myths" to scorpions, though in this case I can understand your hesitancy. H. swammerdami can supposedly attain ten inches, though this I have yet to see proven by tape measure.

Thanks,

Arthroverts

GordoOldman

Arachnoknight
I have had several extremely large P. imperator over the years...in the 80's when imports were uncountable, and we housed them temporarily in kiddie pools you would regularly get maximum sized adults.

mellow

Arachnobaron
I believe it is true; remember that you can't necessarily extrapolate tarantula "myths" to scorpions, though in this case I can understand your hesitancy. H. swammerdami can supposedly attain ten inches, though this I have yet to see proven by tape measure.

Thanks,

Arthroverts
I have never heard anyone say Heterometrus swammerdami could get ten inches, I think that nine inches is probably the biggest they get, but I have seen a pretty impressive looking picture of one that might be ten inches but I'm not sure, Pandinus imperator get about seven and a half inches.
58379499_484533652085295_7296734168401051648_o.jpg
Here's the picture of that large Heterometrus swammerdami I was talking about. 😃

Dr SkyTower

Arachnolord
Heterometrus swammerdami can get very large. It also weighs a lot as well, up to three times the weight of a mouse (pregnant females).
Some flat rock scorpions can also grow very large, but are not as heavy as h. swammerdami. These pics are just size comparisons.
. hadogenes_granulatus.jpg

Attachments

mellow

Arachnobaron
Heterometrus swammerdami can get very large. It also weighs a lot as well, up to three times the weight of a mouse (pregnant females).
Some flat rock scorpions can also grow very large, but are not as heavy as h. swammerdami. These pics are just size comparisons.
. View attachment 352942

Yeah if I remember right the world's second largest scorpion was a full grown male Hadogenes troglodytes, definitely one of my favorite scorpion species. 😁

Chebe6886

Arachnobaron
At those sizes it would be terrifying to come across that in the wild. I’d immediately freak then slowly decide how to catch it