Scorpion refusing food, almost seems afraid of food

rockin the casbah

Arachnopeon
Hello! This is my first post as im rather new to the whole, arachnid keeping, i did a good bit of research and got a pandinus dictator, ive had him for about a week and a half and he has refused all food, crickets, horn worms, super worms, and i wanted to ask if this is normal, i k ow they dont eat a lot but i wanna make sure hes ok, his tank has a ceramic heat emitter that keeps it around 80, i keep it decently moist but never sopping, but is he skinny? Fat? About to molt? I just want some tips (took his hide out to get a pic as hes always under it)

Attachments

Ferrachi

Arachnoprince
This is normal because you've only had him for a week and a half. He is still adjusting to his new home and environment. They can go "months" without food, so not to worry and he will eat once he's comfortable and hungry.

Great looking P Dictator !

rockin the casbah

Arachnopeon
Thank you for the help! Ill most likely continue to post about him cause i really want him to be all healthy, how often do you think i should offer him food? I offered a super worm today and he refused, so should i try again in two days? A week? What do you think is my best course of action
Also thank you! Hes a really great addition to my household ans im super glad to know hes a handsome boy lol!

Ferrachi

Arachnoprince
Thank you for the help! Ill most likely continue to post about him cause i really want him to be all healthy, how often do you think i should offer him food? I offered a super worm today and he refused, so should i try again in two days? A week? What do you think is my best course of action
Also thank you! Hes a really great addition to my household ans im super glad to know hes a handsome boy lol!
No problem :)

I would leave him alone for another week... substrate looks a bit dry tho

rockin the casbah

Arachnopeon
alr i will do! I use a mister by the way, is there a better way to get his substrate moist?
And regarding food also, at what point should i be worried?
And probably last question how do i tell how old he is? Pet shop said they had him for about two months before i purchased him

Dr SkyTower

Arachnolord
scorpions only need to be fed about once a week and it does take them a while to settle. You can offer him a water bowl to bathe his whole body in, this species (and heterometrus) like to bathe themselves.
And definitely yes, he is a handsome little critter! :scorpion::kiss:

FrankiePinchinatti

Arachnoknight
- I think it looks to be a pretty healthy weight, not starving but not anywhere close to pre-molt either.
- My only experience trying to feed my guys superworms ended up with them getting freaked out as well. As others have stated, it's probably still just getting settled in, but it might also have a preferred food.
- The easiest way of getting the substrate nice and moist is just slowly pouring water on it. I mist in between these soakings, but misting really just gets the surface wet and eventually the stuff underneath with get gradually dry.
- It seems a pretty good size, anywhere from 0-2 molts away from full grown. I think a guess of ~2 years old probably isn't too far off.

ignithium

Arachnoknight
In my experience many scorpions don't have a strong feeding response, but if you leave the prey with them overnight it's gone in the morning. They are reclusive animals and most are nocturnal. That being said I have only ever owned Buthids, so I defer when it comes to other families of scorpion like these guys.