scorpion problem >_<

xBurntBytheSunx

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
i got a 1.5" tri-color scorp a few weeks ago and its dead already :wall:

i dunno what the problem was, it was eating well. i had it in a delicup on some peat moss and had some air holes poked in the lid. the only problem i guess could have been there wasn't a ton of ventilation. could have have killed it? i really don't know what else would have done it. it was fine this morning >_<

i'm about to give up on scorpions i think. i had several emperors and those never lased long for whatever reason. mites killed the last 3 i had. i think the only one i haven't had problems with is my olive keeled flat rock.

tabor

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
by tri color do you mean hottentotta trilineatus??

common names do no good :)

-A. tabor

xBurntBytheSunx

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
it was in this genus Opistophthalmus but the dealer didn't know specifically which one it was. he said "not the more common one"

EAD063

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Well that makes a lot of sense. A desert species is much less prone to mites as a tropical species would be. Basically because most mites dislike dry enviroments and thrive in moist, dirty ones. One would think, a) There is no maintence being done in the enclosure, b) The specimen are infrequently cared for, because once you see one mite, corrective measures are in need, and usually taken immediately c) The mites come with the scorpions (also possibly the crickets) from the pet store, in which case you'd need to visit a less "cuddy" pet store.

Either way, if you've lost that many to mites, I think your making a good decision on throwing in the towel.

Canth

Arachnolord
Old Timer
Sounds like you gave it inadequate housing. Opistophthalmus sp need about 6" of burrowing subtrate.

tabor

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Well what were your temps? RH %...info like this helps too :)

Also, doubtful that lack of ventilation holes killed it...never have had that happen to me and I keep tons of specimens in deli cups.

xBurntBytheSunx

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
i guess room temp is about 75 degrees approx.

i really don't know the problem. i have had hardly any losses with tarantulas, but scorpions are a whole other story. are they more fragile? and would one die in few weeks b/c it couldn't burrow?

tabor

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Those temps could be too cold...and they are a pretty humid species if memory serves me correctly. Shoulda done more research before going out buying it, throwing it into a deli and leaving it there.

Scorpions are not more fragile...but if neglected and not given proper care, like with anything...they will die.

xBurntBytheSunx

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
i wasn't keeping it any much different than the caresheet i read. maybe a few degrees cooler, but that is the only difference.

tabor

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Coulda been a faulty specimen then...

Sorry for the loss :wall:

xBurntBytheSunx

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
yeah i don't feed anything wc bugs. oh well its just irritating, i was really excited about the little guy and he seemed to be doing great every day.

its just really frustrating, especially considering all the problems i had with trying to keep emps. i have no problems with tarantulas but scorpions seem to be a whole other ball game. i probably won't get anymore unless i can find another flatrock or a desert hairy maybe. i hear those are tough as nails.