Scorpion Pro needed

Argent

Arachnopeon
Hello everyone who loves scorpions, my name is Argent and I needed to know more about scorpions. I accidentally found a scorpion (black one) in my garden. I don't despise them, but I don't like the sound of getting stung by a scorpion too.

Sorry if I asked this on the wrong website (because I know you are all arachnids lovers) but I figured out that I better go ask the pro about this. The internet wasn't very convincing and since this is an urgent matter (at least for me), I want to get accurate informations as much as possible in the fewest time possible.

My focus is how to not getting stung by them. The scorpion is down the stairs to the garden and I want to know whether they can or cannot climb a stair made of cement and ceramics. And what about climbing a bed? My bed has wooden (square/block) legs. If I came across into one of them again, how should I react to avoid getting stung? How should I handle them without getting them or myself hurt if I want to move them around to other places? What should I do if I get bitten (the first aid)? And if I want to move them to somewhere else, where to (what environtment should I move them to)?

I'm aiming to be a vet and I don't want to hurt animals in any way. And this will be a really good learning materials for me too for future references. I hope you can help me. And sorry for a bad English. Thank you

Henry1975

Arachnopeon
I am no expert. But in wait for the real pros to answer I might help You a little bit. First I think it would be good if You post a picture of the scorpion so an experienced keeper could help You identify it. Then You would know more and if it is considered dangerous to humans. And where to put it if You want to return it in its natural habitat.

Best way to catch it? I think the safest and easiest way is to take a big enough cup, drinking glass or plastic jar that You can see clearly through and place it over the scorpion. Then You take a piece of sheet metal disc of some sort and carefully slide it under the scorpion. Whatever You slide under the scorpion must be stiff so it will not bend and leave a gap and let the scorpion escape. Then You should be able to move it and put it in a safer enclosure.

Always be careful and treat all unknown scorpions like they are highly toxic and keep in mind that some can react and move very fast despite have been completely still for minutes.

Last edited:

WeightedAbyss75

Arachnoangel
I am not an expert, but I will try to help :) First, scorps are arachnids. Next, they could probably climb those stairs. They aren't the best climbers because they can't "stick" to walls, but it depends on the stairs. As for handling them to make sure they are out of the way, just nudge it into a cup and then release them where they won't be in danger. Not sure what it is, but I would take pics so we can identify it. Where you live, there are some pretty nasty scorpions. Most important is they can't climb SMOOTH surfaces, so it's easy to catch and release them. If you get stung, it depends on the scorpion. If it is really venemous, you may need to go to the hospital. If it not very toxic, just put some ice on it. The stinging sensation will wear off. Hope I helped! :)

Argent

Arachnopeon
In wait for the real pros to answer I might help You a little bit. First I think it would be good if You post a picture of the scorpion so an experienced keeper could help You identify it. Then You would know more and if it is considered dangerous to humans. And where to put it if You want to leave it in its natural habitat.

Best way to catch it? I think the safest and easiest way is to take a big enough cup, drinking glass or plastic jar that You can see clearly through and place it over the scorpion. Then You take a piece of sheet metal disc of some sort and carefully slide it under the scorpion. Whatever You slide under the scorpion must be stiff so it will not bend and leave a gap and let the scorpion escape. Then You should be able to move it and put it in a safer enclosure.

Always be careful and treat all unknown scorpions like they are highly toxic and keep in mind that some can react and move very fast despite have been completely still for minutes.
Thank you for your reply. I thought the best way to catch it was to pinch the stinger (tail) with some chopsticks-like sticks lol :p Thank goodness I didn't try that... I'll try to keep the information about the scorpion updated and maybe post a picture of it if I can find it again. I saw it at night, so it wasn't really the best time to take pictures. The scorpion was really black and glossy though. I'm sure the claw/pincher isn't that big (not bulging). I didn't saw the stinger, but I assumed the stinger is also black. I really hope those information helps. If there's one in my garden, does it means there are a lot of them hiding in some place? By the way, I live in Indonesia, in Java Island. It's always raining in this city and we are a tropical country. I hope this information helps to knowing the environment better

JumpingSpiderLady

Arachnobaron
I would agree with the previous posts. Good for you not wanting to kill it!
I'd say this is the best place for your question. We love arachnids, but we also have a lot of respect for them and thier venom.

Argent

Arachnopeon
I am not an expert, but I will try to help :) First, scorps are arachnids. Next, they could probably climb those stairs. They aren't the best climbers because they can't "stick" to walls, but it depends on the stairs. As for handling them to make sure they are out of the way, just nudge it into a cup and then release them where they won't be in danger. Not sure what it is, but I would take pics so we can identify it. Where you live, there are some pretty nasty scorpions. Most important is they can't climb SMOOTH surfaces, so it's easy to catch and release them. If you get stung, it depends on the scorpion. If it is really venemous, you may need to go to the hospital. If it not very toxic, just put some ice on it. The stinging sensation will wear off. Hope I helped! :)
Thank you. The information is really valuable. That's what I'm scared off, there are a lot of nasty scorpions in my country. I can only hope it's not one of them... Can I identify how venomous it is after I get stung? Like, are the symptoms different from the very start?

Argent

Arachnopeon
Thank you. The information is really valuable. That's what I'm scared off, there are a lot of nasty scorpions in my country. I can only hope it's not one of them... Can I identify how venomous it is after I get stung? Like, are the symptoms different from the very start?
I think so too. This website and the people in here are awesome. I have been searching for website like this. It's so detailed and the people really know what they're talking about. This website have a lots of good info :)

JumpingSpiderLady

Arachnobaron
If you're worried about getting stung in your sleep, put some petroleum jelly (vaseline) around the legs of your bed and scorpions won't be able to climb it. This probably goes without saying, but if there is any chance it's in your home, be sure to check shoes and clothes before putting them on.

Argent

Arachnopeon
If you're worried about getting stung in your sleep, put some petroleum jelly (vaseline) around the legs of your bed and scorpions won't be able to climb it. This probably goes without saying, but if there is any chance it's in your home, be sure to check shoes and clothes before putting them on.
Thank you. And no, I'm such a novice that I didn't even know the need to check them... I'll be sure to check them from today onwards. This is the first time I have ever encountered a scorpion. I live in a city, so I didn't think I would encounter them, especially not in my own garden, so I didn't pay that much attention to them. But now that I've encountered one, I really think I need to learn about them

Henry1975

Arachnopeon
Thank you for your reply. I thought the best way to catch it was to pinch the stinger (tail) with some chopsticks-like sticks lol :p Thank goodness I didn't try that... I'll try to keep the information about the scorpion updated and maybe post a picture of it if I can find it again. I saw it at night, so it wasn't really the best time to take pictures. The scorpion was really black and glossy though. I'm sure the claw/pincher isn't that big (not bulging). I didn't saw the stinger, but I assumed the stinger is also black. I really hope those information helps. If there's one in my garden, does it means there are a lot of them hiding in some place? By the way, I live in Indonesia, in Java Island. It's always raining in this city and we are a tropical country. I hope this information helps to knowing the environment better
Grabbing them by the tail can be be much harder than it looks. Again, I am no expert in any way. But I would recommend You to get ready for the next time You find one. With that I mean that make sure that you find or acquire a suitable glass/jar or such and a piece of sheet metal disc or such and put them someplace so you can quickly retrieve them. And slender claws, as You might know, can indicate a more potent one. And You might know that scorpions glow with a green-yellowish colour in UV-light? If You get yourself one UV-flashlight Your chances to find one in the dusk, night or in the dark will dramatically increase. Be careful. And good luck.

Last edited:

Argent

Arachnopeon
Grabbing them by the tail can be be much harder than it looks. Again, I am no expert in any way. But I would recommend You to get ready for the next time You find one. With that I mean that make sure that you find or acquire a suitable glass/jar or such and a piece of sheet metal disc or such and put them someplace so you can quickly retrieve them. And slender claws, as You might know, might indicate a more potent one. And You might know that scorpions glow with a green-yellowish colour in UV-light? If You get yourself one UV-flashlight Your chances to find one in the dusk, night or in the dark will dramatically increase. Be careful. And good luck.
Thanks. That was a really vital information. I always bring a water bottle everywhere and a luchbox too, maybe it can be a replacement for the jar. I'll be sure to bring the UV flashlight with me too