Scorpion not making a good adjustment

June Jupiter

Arachnosquire
Asia my Asian Forest Scorpion isn't making the adjustment that I anticipated. Don't know what that was but I've had her for two weeks on Friday and she's yet to eat. On this weeks menu I served super worms ( I own two vietnamese centipedes as well). I made a couple of amateur mistakes like just getting the hide three days ago. When I first got her she continously tried to climb up the corners of the terrium. It's kinda frustrating any advice ? 20140613_181736.jpg

June Jupiter

Arachnosquire
Oh yeah since a got the hide, well I guess you know where she's been for the last 24hrs. Maybe I misread her perceived aggressive display. Maybe it was a distress signal. When I purchased her I noticed the same cricket in with her from the previous day. The pet store staff attempted to feed her but she refused. She acts totally uninterested in food, do I have a breathertarian on my hands ? I don't wont her to die

Galapoheros

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Can you get a couple of better pics? The chela, aka pinchers, look a little unusual to me, could be the blurry pic though, the red is a little diff when it comes to Heterometrus sps. too, could be the photo though, don't know what's going on there. They like the substrate pretty moist too.

June Jupiter

Arachnosquire
Got you; that was the critter carrier I purchased her in.I will get a better shot in the am, I keep the substrate moist and terrium humid.

G. Carnell

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Sometimes Heterometrus have really red claws for about a month after their final moult, I've seen it in H. laoticus

Perhaps the OP has a male, which will generally not eat very much!

EDIT: really old pic, but shows red claws

June Jupiter

Arachnosquire
Hmm interesting...thanks I just want to do the correct thing and provide a thriving environment for it.

KDiiX

Arachnobaron
Hmm interesting...thanks I just want to do the correct thing and provide a thriving environment for it.
The correct thing would have been collecting informations before buying an animal. If you had done that you would have known that some scorpions fast for several months etc.
The Substrat looks it's not fitting in the behaviour of heterometrus sp. Get some substrate were the can dig deep tunnels. And at least start know to get informations! Internet is full of informations about scorpions in general and specific about heterometrus sp too both are necessary to keep proper care for your animal.

June Jupiter

Arachnosquire
Thanks for the info ! I will just keep visual and offer him food on the next feeding schedule. I haven't taken another picture because he/she is still in the hide and I didn't want to disturb it.

darkness975

Latrodectus
Arachnosupporter +
June, could you post a picture of the enclosure set up ?

Regarding food: some of my scorpions take it readily every week and others do not. As long as the scorp looks healthy and decent in size I would not worry much about it. Offer food on a normal feeding schedule and sooner or later it will take it when it wants to.

zonbonzovi

Creeping beneath you
Old Timer
I'm aware. I read that post and made the assumption that June has since removed the animal to a less temporary enclosure and what we are seeing in the pic is merely what it came in. Perhaps June can confirm this for us?

KDiiX

Arachnobaron
I'm aware. I read that post and made the assumption that June has since removed the animal to a less temporary enclosure and what we are seeing in the pic is merely what it came in. Perhaps June can confirm this for us?
Yeah but assumptions also can be wrong, so I thought to add that info. If everything has change fine, if not the post might help to think of getting another substrate.

June Jupiter

Arachnosquire
I will upload enclosure pic once I'm home from work. I did however rehome the scorpion to a ten gallon terrarium, with a coaster as a water dish, 5 inches of substrate, with the left end being more moist, provided now by overfilled water dish(coaster). The hide is a igloo shape medium sized hermit crab igloo. Ventilation is a screen top covered 7/8 with plastic wrap to manage humidity accordingly. I attempted 4 feedings, my most recent attempt was last night (another superworm) this weeks feeding will be large crickets, next feeding will either be dubias or something softer like a wax worm perhaps but not definitely.

Michiel

Arachnoking
Old Timer
That hide is not ideal, I'll bet money on it, that the scorpion won't use it. Toss in a few large pieces of cork bark for it to hide under.....tank size is good, 4 inches substrate is good, water dish seems a bit small (scorpions don't seem to drown that quick despite of what some popular hobby books say), make the substrate a bit more moist. now you only have to forget the idea of feeding your scorpion full fat butter (super worms) and start feeding crickets or grasshoppers or their nymps and your scorpion is a happy camper...

KDiiX

Arachnobaron
Michiel said already something about the hide. Even if you were saying "but he uses is every day" it's still no good hide for scorpion. If he will use it its just because no other possible hide is available.
I don't wanna be rude even though the next might sound so to you, but to you even like the look of your set up your own? If you imagine the habitat of this scorpion do it look nearly like your enclosure in your imagination?
Stupid question but are you sure the substrate is 5 inch? It doesn't look so on the picture. The cup with the worms beside the enclosure looks higher than the substrate and i just guess the cup isn't higher than 5 inch.
Anyway in that set up it actually doesn't even matter much because your scorpion probably only will try to dig in the corner where he can't get anywhere no matter how much substrate you got.
A good set up for this scorpion would have:
-several good hides (hide where the scorpion has contact to his back, the best would hides where he have to start to dig to fit under)
-a surface with small hills and valleys not that flat surface it looks like with yours (scorpions like to start burrowing at the leaning of a "hill")
-a heater that provide at least two different climate zones (on side warm other colder)
And if you want a good looking enclosure you probably would "through" in much more than is required like moss, plenty of hides, stones etc. Nature is chaotic the more chaotic it looks the more natural it looks.

Smokehound714

Arachnoking
A flat stone stimulates burrowing behavior, and makes burrowing easier for them, no collapsing substrate to annoy them :p

Galapoheros

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Yeah I sure agree with what's been said, you should clutter it up with places to hide. It's be nice if you could take a better pic of that scorp too, the shape of the chela look a little diff to me. Prob no big deal, I'm just curious.