Scorpion molt

Rain_Flower

Arachnolord
Old Timer
Sooooooooooo cool.
It wasn't my scorpion that molted, but it was cool and I just wanted to share the story.
I was at the pet store yesterday just checkin things out and I started talking to the owner about scorps and T's and stuff and I asked her if she has ever had a scorp molt in her care... According to her scorpions only molt three times in their lives (she sounded like she knew what she was talking about, but I don't know a whole lot about scorp molting) and she went in the back and let me check out the molt skin of one of her scorpions. It was completely intact and just, amazing. it's incredible how those guys can just crawl out of their skin like that.

tabor

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
:wall: Pet stores !

Even if they sound like they know what they are talking about..they don't.

-A.tabor

Mr. Mordax

Arachnoking
Old Timer
To elaborate on what Tabor said, scorpions don't molt only three times. For example, according to Brian S, Babycurus jacksoni mature after four or five molts, depending on sex (he said males mature at instar five and females at instar six).*

But yes, scorpion molts are awesome. :D The only ones I've seen (four of mine have molted once in my care) have always been posed very nicely and left very much intact, as opposed to my fiancee's tarantula molts. :rolleyes:

*I'm pretty sure that's what he said, but I might have remembered wrong.

EAD063

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
To elaborate on what Tabor said, scorpions don't molt only three times. For example, according to Brian S, Babycurus jacksoni mature after four or five molts, depending on sex (he said males mature at instar five and females at instar six).*

But yes, scorpion molts are awesome. :D The only ones I've seen (four of mine have molted once in my care) have always been posed very nicely and left very much intact, as opposed to my fiancee's tarantula molts. :rolleyes:

According to various sources Babycurus will become mature at instar 6 for males and instar 7 for females.

For Rain_, scorpions are born into they're first instar, so instar6 would equal 5 total molts, and 4 like the one you saw. (The first is messy) For a female, 6 total molts, 5 like the one you saw.

Some Vaejovis species have notable molts. Instar 8 for females and Instar 7 for males is when they become mature. After attaining such a species , you would see 6 total molts for males and 7 for females. This is bias the specimen are recently born.

Hope you understand that blob of a mess, :)

Ed

beetleman

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Sooooooooooo cool.
It wasn't my scorpion that molted, but it was cool and I just wanted to share the story.
I was at the pet store yesterday just checkin things out and I started talking to the owner about scorps and T's and stuff and I asked her if she has ever had a scorp molt in her care... According to her scorpions only molt three times in their lives (she sounded like she knew what she was talking about, but I don't know a whole lot about scorp molting) and she went in the back and let me check out the molt skin of one of her scorpions. It was completely intact and just, amazing. it's incredible how those guys can just crawl out of their skin like that.
yes it is, i never tire in seeing any of my scorps molting,it's an awesome site!

Mr. Mordax

Arachnoking
Old Timer
according to Brian S, Babycurus jacksoni mature after four or five molts, depending on sex (he said males mature at instar five and females at instar six).*

According to various sources Babycurus will become mature at instar 6 for males and instar 7 for females.
Ah ha . . . he probably said molts and I remembered it as instars. :wall:

Thanks, Ed.