Scorpion in resin?

Scorpionkid

Arachnosquire
Hello, my P.imperator recently died due to a bacterial infection, and I want to try to preserve it in resin. Does anyone know what type of resin to use?
Thanks

Scorpiobsession

Arachnobaron
I used craft resin. Make sure that the mold is for resin use or else you won't be able to see through the resin because of the imperfections.

Doodlebird

Arachnoknight
I personally use allumilite. It's super clear, and the thin consistency means minimal bubbles. I've never had issues with it not setting up/being soft, and I use it for dice so it's pretty durable too. I highly recommend this stuff.

Ferrachi

Arachnoprince
I personally use allumilite. It's super clear, and the thin consistency means minimal bubbles. I've never had issues with it not setting up/being soft, and I use it for dice so it's pretty durable too. I highly recommend this stuff.
I've used the same resin and it worked well for me too

Scorpiobsession

Arachnobaron
I couldn't remember what it was called. That's also what I use.
When you go to make a cast do it 1/3 each. Don't spend too much time in between them or there will be a color difference. Add the next layer when the previous layer is sticky but not hard and set. Do the first 1/3 and set the scorpion in it, this will "anchor" the scorpion so it doesn't change positions. Add in the 2nd 1/3 which will start filling in the mold but not changing the position of the scorpion. The last 1/3 will finish the mold but hopefully not change the position of any parts of the scorpion.

GhostMouse

Arachnopeon
I made this with a craft 2part epoxy resin called EasyCast:

20200212_140151.jpg

First I got a small piece of foam and pinned the scorpion into the position I wanted. I waited for it to dry thoroughly. Then I poured a small amount of clear resin into the mold first, removing some excess bubbles with a lighter (a few quick spurts of flame bring bubbles to the surface and pop them). I wait for this first layer to partially set, to prevent the scorpion from sinking such that parts may stick out beyond the resin. Then I set the scorpion, belly up, in the resin, got it into an attractive position, and poured more clear resin around it. I fired out some bubbles, and used a toothpick to ensure the scorpion was still placed where I wanted it post-pour. I then waited for all of that to firmly set. Finally, I mixed a small amount of resin with black glitter and poured that on top (the top of the mold being the bottom of the pendant), and once it was poured and flamed I sprinkled a little more glitter over the top of it for even coverage (it will sink somewhat into the resin). If you are steady of hand enough to sand it after (making sure you have a fine enough grit and enough gradient leading up to it can be a hassle) you can do so and it may improve the sheen of the outmost layer, but I feel I get enough clarity from the resin itself so didn't want to risk wrecking my piece.

String on cord, wear, enjoy.

Doodlebird

Arachnoknight
Looks great! I bet a little silver leaf suspended in the resin would look really good with the glitter too 😃

ChiefinOnSomeSkunk

Arachnopeon
I too was looking for more info on resin casting species that have passed away. I usually keep mine as wet specimens inside of jars, but a resin setup would be really nice and be a good conversation piece to display. Thank you to everyone who provided great information for others who were looking for resin casting info!