Scorpion in Los Angeles

Duke Klass

Arachnopeon
We found this scorpion in our front yard in Studio City, CA. Can anyone help us identify it? And let us know if it is dangerous.

Attachments

NYAN

Arachnoking
Can anyone help us identify it? And let us know if it is dangerous.
It’s dead, so unless you plan on aspirating it, I would say the danger factor is small.

California has no native species that are medically significant. The most common species in your area is Paruroctonus silvestrii, but this isn’t one. I’m getting bark scorpion vibes from it as a matter of fact, but don’t take my word on that.

After comparing it to species sighted in LA county, I have decided that I am stumped because the telson and claws do not match them.

Last edited:

NMWAPBT

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Kinda looks like centruroides sculpturatus. They are only found in certain areas in California and even then not very common. Hmmm.

NYAN

Arachnoking
Kinda looks like centruroides sculpturatus. They are only found in certain areas in California and even then not very common. Hmmm.
I know of one or two records in far eastern California. They are not common.

NMWAPBT

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I know of one or two records in far eastern California. They are not common.
Definitely not a common species over there but that specimen looks an awful lot like a sculpturatus.

Arthroverts

Arachnoking
Yeah, it does look a lot like a bark scorpion (Centruroides sp.), especially the tail, although I don't know of any Centruroides sp. ranging anywhere near LA. They are all either east as others have already stated or in the extreme south.

Thanks,

Arthroverts

NYAN

Arachnoking
I wouldn’t necessarily say sculpturatus, but Centruroides or another bark scorpion genusis definitely possible. It sure doesn’t look like a native species.

lI don't know of any Centruroides sp. ranging anywhere near LA. They are all either east as others have already stated or in the extreme south.
It would be nonnative if it was.

Arthroverts

Arachnoking
I wouldn’t necessarily say sculpturatus, but Centruroides or another bark scorpion genusis definitely possible. It sure doesn’t look like a native species.

It would be nonnative if it was.
Could it have come in with firewood like C. vittatus you think?

Thanks,

Arthroverts

myrmecophile

Arachnolord
Old Timer
I have seen Centruroides sculpturatus in Long Beach so an LA record is not a big shock.

myrmecophile

Arachnolord
Old Timer
I am quite familiar with the species, they were identified by myself and then my boss at the time, a BCE who also happens to specialize in arachnids. What he did with the specimens I could not say.

Duke Klass

Arachnopeon
Are any of the species mentioned above venomous? Is there a way to tell exactly what this one is? And can anyone venture a guess how the heck it got in my front yard?

Arthroverts

Arachnoking
Are any of the species mentioned above venomous? Is there a way to tell exactly what this one is? And can anyone venture a guess how the heck it got in my front yard?
Well, whatever species it is, it's for sure venomous, but not deadly. I'm pretty sure all species of scorpions are venomous, but there might be a species lurking somewhere out there...

Well, that depends. What does your front yard look like? Lots of natural habitat? Are you close to a park or reserve? Or possibly a BBQ restaurant (some species have been known to hitch rides in the firewood being sent to restaurants)?

Thanks,

Arthroverts

Duke Klass

Arachnopeon
I live near Laurel Canyon and Fryman Canyon, hills/woods, lots of natural habitat, so its not unusual to see critters of all sorts. But I've never seen a scorpion, and by reading above, it doesn't seem like they are common in this area.

myrmecophile

Arachnolord
Old Timer
All scorpions are venomous to some degree or other as has been mentioned, Centruroides would be the only one in the U.S of potential medical significance. Their are uncountable ways such a specimen could show up in your yard. From transported firewood, to one stowing away in someones luggage or transported firewood/plants.

myrmecophile

Arachnolord
Old Timer
They are far more common than you suspect, however their presence is not something I would be concerned about.

RTTB

Arachnoprince
I would agree C sculpturatus. Any type of population of these in Southern California is documentation worthy.