Scorpion in Hill country Texas

Smotzer

ArachnoGod
Arachnosupporter +
Hey all I’m not huge into scorpions yet and I’m not acquainted with all the species here in Texas. But here’s a little scorpion I found on a branch doing tree work today. I tried looking online to figure out what it was but was mainly just got with pest control pages on scorpions and I’m not well versed in scorpion ID. If it helps located about an hour northwest of San Antonio 866042F7-1FF6-4809-86D4-0630233877DC.jpeg 4DC00DB9-DE5D-4CEF-BD6F-95088D2FDADD.jpeg

Last edited:

DaveM

ArachnoOneCanReach
Old Timer
I think that's just an especially vividly colored striped bark scorpion - Centruroides vittatus
I'm not an expert though. Other ideas? Very beautiful!

Smotzer

ArachnoGod
Arachnosupporter +
Okay thanks you guys! Y’all are right it looks like that! Just glad I noticed it at the last second and didn’t grab the middle of the stick, not sure how defensive they are but I’m sure it’s not a comfortable feeling sting

Dr SkyTower

Arachnolord
It's a species of bark scorpion - they're arboreal. That one is such a pretty little thing, love the bright vivid colours. The scientific name for them is centruroides.

Smotzer

ArachnoGod
Arachnosupporter +
It's a species of bark scorpion - they're arboreal. That one is such a pretty little thing, love the bright vivid colours. The scientific name for them is centruroides.
Yeah it is quite pretty and vivid I agree!!

pannaking22

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Good old C. vittatus. It seems that those in the hill country are more vibrantly colored than the ones further south. The sting would definitely get your attention, it's a buthid so it wouldn't be pleasant. Not life-threatening, but it'd put a damper on your day.

Lubed Tweezer

Arachnolord
I also vote C. vittatus, this could be a price wining specimen due to those awesome colors !

Smotzer

ArachnoGod
Arachnosupporter +
I also vote C. vittatus, this could be a price wining specimen due to those awesome colors !
If people were really interested in a specimen with this coloration I might look into trying to attract and collect a few. The owner, who is a friend, said that they have a lot of them on their property and continually are killing ones that venture into the home. I might be able to stop the killing of them if I can find away to collect them.