Scorpion identification.

whoami?

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
So far, I've only had experience with P. imperator, but I've been thinking of moving up to a more impressive (and unfortunately, aggressive) species. In particular, I was thinking about Hadrurus arizonensis.

I absolutely will not keep any scorpion that has a decent chance of killing me. And while I am aware that H. arizonensis has mild venom, it (particular the paler specimens) still bears some resemblance to a few other medically significant species.

Obviously, H, arizonensis has a unique appearance, but I'm still something of an amateur at scorpion keeping, and to me it still looks much like your averge thick-tailed, small-clawed yellow scorpion.

So, is anyone aware of any identification keys that will allow an amateur such as myself to know for certain that I am actually getting an H. arizonensis, and not another species that might have been mislabeled?

Kugellager

ArachnoJester of the Ancient Ones
Arachnosupporter
Here is an excellent site for images of many different species of scorpions. The H.arizonensis or H.spadix which you are interested in are quite distinct looking from your average buthid scorpion.

This will at least help.

http://www.ub.ntnu.no/scorpion-files/gallery.htm

John