Scorpion identification help

GoCARDS

Arachnopeon
I was stung by a scorpion last night and I would like to know if anyone on here can help me identify what kind it is. I live in Louisville, KY but just returned from vacation in Ocala, FL so I may have carried home a stowaway. The scorpion is about an inch and a half in length. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Attachments

Last edited:

MrMatt

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I'm by no means an expert but it looks like a mature male centruroides, probably vittatus or hentzi based on location. Can you get any clearer pictures?

Last edited:

Red Dog

Arachnopeon
Yeah, +2 Mrmatt, I own a sculpturous and a vittatus, and it does look a lot like a vittatus brother. Be careful, that species is pretty hot.(Very Poisonous). Just keep an eye on the sting area, try to elevate your arm and apply an ice pack to the site where you were stung. I've heard sudden sharp pains on the limb where you were stung are common and can sometimes lead to shortness of breath for a little while. seeing as this was an earlier post though, most of the symptoms should have subsided by now. ;)

super-pede

Arachnobaron
Yeah, +2 Mrmatt, I own a sculpturous and a vittatus, and it does look a lot like a vittatus brother. Be careful, that species is pretty hot.(Very Poisonous). Just keep an eye on the sting area, try to elevate your arm and apply an ice pack to the site where you were stung. I've heard sudden sharp pains on the limb where you were stung are common and can sometimes lead to shortness of breath for a little while. seeing as this was an earlier post though, most of the symptoms should have subsided by now. ;)
Definitely not poisonous.Scorpions aren't poisonous.This particular species is harmless.

signinsimple

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Definitely not poisonous.Scorpions aren't poisonous.This particular species is harmless.
Yeah there venomous.
you're quite right Joey.
Aren't you guys cute. If you're going to be haughty, at least make sure you know what you're talking about. Venom is a type of poison, so all venomous creatures are poisonous as well. Venom's like a subset of poison that happens to be delivered in a different way. "Poisonous" doesn't just mean "has no slick delivery mechanism for it's toxins so you have to eat it to get sick"

Red Dog, I got your back. Some scorpions are very poisonous

Michiel

Arachnoking
Old Timer
poison

1. Any agent which, when introduced into the animal organism, is capable of producing a morbid, noxious, or deadly effect upon it; as, morphine is a deadly poison; the poison of pestilential diseases.

2. That which taints or destroys moral purity or health; as, the poison of evil example; the poison of sin. Poison ash.

(Science: botany) A poisonous shrub of the genus rhus (R. Venenata); also called poison ash, poison dogwood, and poison elder. It has pinnate leaves on graceful and slender common petioles, and usually grows in swampy places. Both this plant and the poison ivy (Rhus toxicodendron) have clusters of smooth greenish white berries, while the red-fruited species of this genus are harmless. The tree (Rhus vernicifera) which yields the celebrated japan lacquer is almost identical with the poison sumac, and is also very poisonous. The juice of the poison sumac also forms a lacquer similar to that of Japan.

Synonym: venom, virus, bane, pest, malignity.

Poison, venom. Poison usually denotes something received into the system by the mouth, breath, etc. Venom is something discharged from animals and received by means of a wound, as by the bite or sting of serpents, scorpions, etc. Hence, venom specifically implies some malignity of nature or purpose.

Origin: F. Poison, in Old French also, a potion, fr. L. Potio a drink, draught, potion, a poisonous draught, fr. Potare to drink. See Potable, and cf. Potion.

Source: Online biological dictionary

You have to understand that those language experts need a job too, so that is why we have many synonyms, unlogical grammar rules etc etc They gotta keep us and themselves busy......just like taxonomists...:D

Red Dog

Arachnopeon
Aren't you guys cute. If you're going to be haughty, at least make sure you know what you're talking about. Venom is a type of poison, so all venomous creatures are poisonous as well. Venom's like a subset of poison that happens to be delivered in a different way. "Poisonous" doesn't just mean "has no slick delivery mechanism for it's toxins so you have to eat it to get sick"

Red Dog, I got your back. Some scorpions are very poisonous
Thanks Sign.;) I knew i saw somewhere that the Centruroides had a more potent poison or "Venom" (For all the specialized Grammar teachers out there.;)) then most scorpions.

MOBugGuy

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Yes Centruroides are HOT but vittatus has week venom it will just feel like a wasp sting. Dont worry about it.

telow

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
if it came from ocala its a c.hentzi which is what it looks like
ocala has a good population of them as well