Scorpion ID

Philth

N.Y.H.C.
Old Timer
This was sold to me as a Tunisian fat tail(androctonus australis) It dosent look like a fat tail to me. And realy dosent resemble my A.bicolor. Did the give me the wrong name? And if so what is it?

Attachments

skinheaddave

SkorpionSkin
Arachnosupporter +
That is one FAT C.exilicauda. How much did you pay for it?

Cheers,
Dave

XOskeletonRED

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Dave, I think that's actually two scorps...one which we all see and the one that she ate. *lol*

adios,
edw. =D

skinheaddave

SkorpionSkin
Arachnosupporter +
XO,

Could be. That or a scorpion and a small deer ... maybe even a small troup of mimes.

Cheers,
Dave

Kugellager

ArachnoJester of the Ancient Ones
Arachnosupporter
That thing has GOT to be gravid...I don't think I have ever seen a scorp that plump before.

John
];')

Philth

N.Y.H.C.
Old Timer
This is a Arizona Bark scorp.? The dealer told me it came in a shipment from Egypt, again he told me it was a A. australis and said it was one of the most toxic Scorps around. Any way what ever it is should i give it a water dish, its small so im scared it will drown. And does it look like there is babies in there? He had them priced for 30 bucks, but gave it to me for ten cuase im a good customer.

Kugellager

ArachnoJester of the Ancient Ones
Arachnosupporter
Can you get better and sharper pics of the telson...that would help a lot...close up of the head too...just don't get tagged.

John
];')

Last edited:

skinheaddave

SkorpionSkin
Arachnosupporter +
I don't think the metasoma is right for a V.spinigerus. Not fat or ridged enough from what I can see on the pic. Plus, the fifth metasomal segment looks to be elongated -- pointing towards Centruroides.

Cheers,
Dave

skinheaddave

SkorpionSkin
Arachnosupporter +
Okay .. that's a nice pic. Neither Centruroides or Vaejovis as far as I can tell. Those snub chela just scream Buthacus. Perhaps it is Buthacus ariencola? That would certainly fit in with it being found in Egypt.

Cheers,
Dave

skinheaddave

SkorpionSkin
Arachnosupporter +
Neveragain,

Where did you get that pic. It doesn't look like A.amoreuxi to me. Check out this pic courtesy of the Scorpion Files. I would agree, however, that it does bear a striking resemblance. If I am right then they are both Buthacus sp. There is no way that they are Androctonus, a genus typified by their thick, highly faceted metasomas.

Cheers,
Dave

neveragain

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
i got it from invertepet.com i guess i forgot to credit the site. sorry.

Philth

N.Y.H.C.
Old Timer
Skinheadave

would you still think the scorp is gravid, now know its not a C. exilicauda? Thanks for the help as i am still inexperianced with Scorpion ID'ing

neveragain

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
now that i look back, i dont know what made me think it was an A. amoreuxi

Reitz

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I have to agree with Dave, definitly looks like a Buthacus. It's got those dark median eyes, stubby little chela, and a nice light telson with a dark stinger. Also, the fifth segment on the metasoma is slighly elongated, like many Buthacus. And a perfect match would be B. arenicola, given 1) the location it was collected, 2) the relative slenderness (if that's a real word) of the chela, and 3) the similar coloration. Specifically in terms of coloration I'm looking at the faint dark patch that runs down the center of its mesosoma.

Any other thoughts?

skinheaddave

SkorpionSkin
Arachnosupporter +
Originally posted by neveragain
now that i look back, i dont know what made me think it was an A. amoreuxi
Yeah, we all have moments like that.

Cheers,
Dave