Scorpion ID??

david booth

Arachnosquire
Hey guys.
Are there any heterometrus species with red claws. I bought a "asian forest scorpion" and I've noticed it has a dull red tinge to it's claws. Which leads me to believe it's a pandinus cavimanus "red claw" I've had it about two months and only just noticed. I know it's hard to tell the difference between heterometrus and pandinus so I was wondering if anyone could shed some light on this. I have two scorps in the tank. I'm not entirely sure what species they are as I'm not as knowledgable as you guys. But the one with the red tinge is quite agressive and the other is really placid. As always, any help is hugely appreciated. Cheers guys!!

Christianb96

Arachnoknight
It sounds like a red claw especially since you said is aggressive. Pictures would be highly helpful. And if you think that you have 2 different scorpions you definitely shouldn't house them together

david booth

Arachnosquire
It sounds like a red claw especially since you said is aggressive. Pictures would be highly helpful. And if you think that you have 2 different scorpions you definitely shouldn't house them together
I know I shouldn't keep them together I only just noticed the red tinge....Well it might not be maybe I'm looking into it to much. As always any help is hugely appreciated..There's a pic of them both together. They are very social together no violence over hides and stuff.

Attachments

david booth

Arachnosquire
Looks to be a Hereromerrus petersii.
Hey ran,
Thanks for the I'd. Is there anything in particular that gives it away and can you tell me if this is an adult please?? Thanks alot

Last edited:

Stugy

Arachnolord
Meh. I don't exactly agree on H.petersii but can't identify it. Just as a wild guess I would say H.spinifer.

Ran

Arachnoknight
H. petersii are larger than spinifer. Most Hereromerus coming in are petersii. There are some longimanus, easiest to ID. H. cyaneus have fine granulation on chela. H. spinifer are smaller but supposedly more stocky. I have perersii so it was easy for me to ID. Hope this helps.

david booth

Arachnosquire
H. petersii are larger than spinifer. Most Hereromerus coming in are petersii. There are some longimanus, easiest to ID. H. cyaneus have fine granulation on chela. H. spinifer are smaller but supposedly more stocky. I have perersii so it was easy for me to ID. Hope this helps.
OK. Ran thanks a lot very helpful

Stugy

Arachnolord
lol i wish i could id heterometrus better like you xD you seem very knowledgeable. I used to have a H.petersii but she died from unknown causes late last year.

david booth

Arachnosquire
lol i wish i could id heterometrus better like you xD you seem very knowledgeable. I used to have a H.petersii but she died from unknown causes late last year.
Sorry to hear that bro. Sometimes it just happens. I'm picking up my male heterometrus today I can't wait to see how they act around eachother

Ran

Arachnoknight
Sorry for that loss Stugy...I just try and do a bit of researching on the species I have and the web has sooo much info...so, I cannot take credit :)