Scorpion ID??

Scorpmatt

Arachnopeon
Hi Im Matt from Mexico this scorpion is from Yucatan Merida

The picture was taken by a friend of my.

Is a dangerous species??

Attachments

blazetown

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
I don't know that much about scorps. All I know is that pointy pincers usually means they have more potent venom.

Redneck

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
My Guess

I am not 100% for sure but it looks like it might be a Centruroides gracilis.. thats just IMO.. I could be wrong

Nomadinexile

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I can't I.D. this scorpion for you. However, there are plenty of scorpions in mexico that pack a punch. Assume it's highly toxic until you find out FOR SURE otherwise. If you can't get it I.D.'d on here, you can probably get an I.D. at a local university. If not local, I am sure someone at UNAM in Mexico City could! (I think UNAM is the big mexico city University, if I am incorrect, go to the largest MX University)

*If you give it a few more days on here, you could very well get an I.D. There are a lot of "experts" that aren't on here everyday but could very well be soon.

Good luck! Nice looking specimen!

Koh_

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
im not an expert but i vote for Centruroides sp.
and i dont think it's tityus as they don't live in mexico as far as i know.
but telling you again , im not an expert..lol

calum

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I think it might be C.gracillis or a Tityus sp. (I think there may be a few species in mexico, not sure though)

AzJohn

Arachnoking
Old Timer
All I know is that I want one....
Get C Gracilis. They look very similar. In fact they might be the same. Plus they are very common. I've sold well over 100 this year.

John

Koh_

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
anyone can ID what that is exactly?
i'd like to know ..im just curious lol

Scorpmatt

Arachnopeon
Thanks

I can't I.D. this scorpion for you. However, there are plenty of scorpions in mexico that pack a punch. Assume it's highly toxic until you find out FOR SURE otherwise. If you can't get it I.D.'d on here, you can probably get an I.D. at a local university. If not local, I am sure someone at UNAM in Mexico City could! (I think UNAM is the big mexico city University, if I am incorrect, go to the largest MX University)

*If you give it a few more days on here, you could very well get an I.D. There are a lot of "experts" that aren't on here everyday but could very well be soon.

Good luck! Nice looking specimen!
Yes You are tottaly correct the UNAM is biggest University in Mexico.
This scorp likely a Centruroides....... Mexico has a lot of this type of scorp.

thanks to everyone for the contributions

pandinus

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Its a Centruroides gracilis, there are no tityus spp. in the Yucatan, and while i'm not 100% positive, i'm pretty sure that gracilis is the only Centruroides found on the peninsula.

John