Scorpion hunting

Garret026

Arachnopeon
Is there anyone that has tips for scorpion hunting at night? Like certain places to look, different times at night, etc. Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Dr SkyTower

Arachnolord
Flip rocks and use a black light! And try looking in wilderness areas... not built up suburban areas.

connieisdead

Arachnopeon
At night I see a lot of Centruroides vittatus and Pseudouroctonus reddelli out and about, often sitting around on walls. Having a black light definitely helps.

As far as looking for scorps goes, nothing beats flipping rocks. Just don't forget to check the undersides too :)

Check rocks that are big and pretty flat. I find that rocks on top of grass usually have scorps under them more often than ones that are buried in the dirt so hopefully that helps.

mellow

Arachnobaron
I've cought a Hadrurus arizonensis in Glendale Arizona in a wash that was on the other side of the road from some houses, it had a lot of trees and rocks, it was under a piece of brick that I flipped over, the scorpion looked bigger than the brick I flipped over lol, so you don't have to move huge rocks to find a scorpion, just flip a bunch of small/flat stuff in a place with lots of vegetation, I used a black light of course. 😃

Last edited:

pizzathehut

Arachnopeon
As others stated, UV light. I'm in Southern Arizona and since everything is desert here, it's really easy. Go outside at night (any time of night really from my experience) with a UV light and walk around and flip rocks over carefully and you'll see em glowing like a highlighter.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Is there anyone that has tips for scorpion hunting at night? Like certain places to look, different times at night, etc. Any advice would be greatly appreciated!
Go at night
On the ground
Bring a UV light

Two short legs

Arachnopeon
uk it's farmland old stone walls, that are used to separate farmland. With a UV,a tap on the wall.out they come.

Dr SkyTower

Arachnolord
I've cought a Hadrurus arizonensis in Glendale Arizona in a wash that was on the other side of the road from some houses, it had a lot of trees and rocks, it was under a piece of brick that I flipped over, the scorpion looked bigger than the brick I flipped over lol, so you don't have to move huge rocks to find a scorpion, just flip a bunch of small/flat stuff in a place with lots of vegetation, I used a black light of course. 😃
That would've been an amazing find... a bit of a fright (because Hadrurus is so big) but they are such beautiful creatures!

mellow

Arachnobaron
That would've been an amazing find... a bit of a fright (because Hadrurus is so big) but they are such beautiful creatures!
Yeah it was definitely a surprise, the guy I went with said something like "what really?! Ok you should pick what rocks we flip" it was pretty awesome. 😁

GordoOldman

Arachnoknight
A good UV light is your best friend for scorpion hunting a field. Of course, this is best utilized after sundown...but can be used in daylight while flipping natural or artificial cover.

Spotting individuals with blacklights is entertaining and can really allow you to appreciate some behaviours if you just sit back and observe.

Just remember if afield in areas with agaves, yucca, long spined cactus...it is easy to forget sharp ends are there and injuries can happen (rattlesnakes do nor flouresce...another thing to remember)

Attachments

Dr SkyTower

Arachnolord
A good UV light is your best friend for scorpion hunting a field. Of course, this is best utilized after sundown...but can be used in daylight while flipping natural or artificial cover.

Spotting individuals with blacklights is entertaining and can really allow you to appreciate some behaviours if you just sit back and observe.

Just remember if afield in areas with agaves, yucca, long spined cactus...it is easy to forget sharp ends are there and injuries can happen (rattlesnakes do nor flouresce...another thing to remember)
I love the way that scorpion stands right out like a neon sign... so much for its cryptic camouflage! :lol:

Miami Cracker

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I'm in SW Fla. and I find C.v. on the fronds of palm scrub all the time. About chest height. Just took my boys out last night and found 2 in the first 5 minutes. Only stayed a couple minutes because mosquitoes and such LOVE the UV light.