Scorpion Hunting - Phoenix, AZ

Desert scorps

Arachnobaron
Hey guys! Long time no see haha! Towards the end of next month i’m taking a trip down to Phoenix and was wondering if there were any locals or anyone that could give me some spots to hunt, or at least point me in the right direction as i’ve never been to Phoenix haha. If you’re worried about giving away locations my inbox should be open so it’s not publicly announced. Anyway, I’m honestly looking to find anything, but scorpions are my top priority forsure. looking mostly for H. arizonensis and C. sculps.
I also wouldn’t mind coming across a Scolopendra heros or some whip scorpions/vinegaroons if anyone knows of some spots to find them as well!

Thank you!

Last edited:

Sterls

Arachnobaron
I'd suggest leaving wild populations alone. If you're simply looking to find some and not capture them, that's alright. Please don't remove any from their habitat though - there's enough people doing that already.

Desert scorps

Arachnobaron
I'd suggest leaving wild populations alone. If you're simply looking to find some and not capture them, that's alright. Please don't remove any from their habitat though - there's enough people doing that already.
Oh don’t worry, I wasn’t planning on that haha, I was planning on maybe taking just one scorp home. I mostly enjoy the thrill of finding them, as i’m from northern Utah so we don’t have too many exciting things to find up here lol. No need to worry about that though i’m always very cautious about leaving the place the same if not better than when i got there!

Arthroverts

Arachnoking
Phoenix, the city itself and the surrounding areas, really isn't great for invertebrates from what I hear. Barren, bone dry, and insanely hot. There may be some spots outside the city, but generally you have to find them yourself either by exploration or through resources like iNaturalist or BugGuide as people are rightfully wary of sharing locales publicly with strangers online.

I will say, in some areas, species like Paravaejovis spinigerus/other Paravaejovis and Centruroides sculpturatus are so plentiful that removing one or even half a dozen is not harmful to the overall population. That said, it pays to be cautious, and if in doubt it is almost (almost, I've had experiences where it wasn't) always better to leave specimens be.

Thanks,

Arthroverts

ChiefinOnSomeSkunk

Arachnopeon
I'm from AZ. I recommend spots like Apache Junction such as Superstition Mountain or Silly Mountain. You could even go to Brown Mountain but there is a ton of hikers at night. I'd recommend staying away from the city spots because you won't find much. The species I seem to encounter the most is Paravaejovis spinigerus (Stripe devil), then Centruroides sculpturatus (AZ bark), I rarely encounter desert hairys. Best of luck to you in your hunting and or spotting.