Scorpion Hunting - Kansas

Quinquangular

Arachnoknight
I think I'm going to buy a black light off of Amazon--
It's called "LEDwholesalers 395 nM 51 UV Ultraviolet LED flashlight Blacklight 3 AA, 7202UV395"

And go scorpion hunting at night near my backyard and in the woods area. I have a row of hedges in my backyard with piles of rocks near it, so I can look there since they might be hiding, and I can look around my wood area near my fence.

The striped bark scorpions look really nice and I hope I can find at least two some day.
What would be an ideal place to find them specifically?
Websites say under rocks and stuff, but I want to know from people who actually found them before!

Thanks a lot, I can't wait!
Kaiser

I live in Geary county in Kansas, if anyone is interested in my location.
Are there any scorpions near my area? I want to make sure.

If you guys do know, are there any type of tarantulas that live in my area in Kansas? Mhmm...

ShredderEmp

Arachnoprince
I would say that Centruroides vittatus would be most likely what you would find. The Scorpion Files says it's range includes all the states that border Kansas, so I would say yes.

Matts inverts

Arachnoangel
Good luck. I’m in Southern California and I have not found any scorpions and I’m in a desert. I know different locations have different rates of finding them though. All I can say is get a black light and Look during night time. Or you can do what the rest of us do and give up and go to a shop. Haha.

Dry Desert

Arachnoprince
I think I'm going to buy a black light off of Amazon--
It's called "LEDwholesalers 395 nM 51 UV Ultraviolet LED flashlight Blacklight 3 AA, 7202UV395"

And go scorpion hunting at night near my backyard and in the woods area. I have a row of hedges in my backyard with piles of rocks near it, so I can look there since they might be hiding, and I can look around my wood area near my fence.

The striped bark scorpions look really nice and I hope I can find at least two some day.
What would be an ideal place to find them specifically?
Websites say under rocks and stuff, but I want to know from people who actually found them before!

Thanks a lot, I can't wait!
Kaiser

I live in Geary county in Kansas, if anyone is interested in my location.
Are there any scorpions near my area? I want to make sure.

If you guys do know, are there any type of tarantulas that live in my area in Kansas? Mhmm...
I used to scorpion hunt at night in Saudi Arabia back in the early 80,s much more fun. I don't think Amazon had black lights then. It certainly kept you on your toes.

Joey Spijkers

Arachnoprince
Scorpion hunting is a lot of fun. I’ve done it in Italy, Bonaire and Costa Rica. I had most succes around natural stacked rock walls, but every species preferred a slightly different habitat.

Arthroverts

Arachnoking
Centruroides tend to appreciate tight squeezes, so stacked bark or rock should work.

Good luck. I’m in Southern California and I have not found any scorpions and I’m in a desert. I know different locations have different rates of finding them though. All I can say is get a black light and Look during night time. Or you can do what the rest of us do and give up and go to a shop. Haha.
Are you in the Mojave Desert?

Thanks,

Arthroverts

Matts inverts

Arachnoangel
No. I’m an hour away from that but it’s hard to explain. My area is a dry shrub land in SoCal

Diao

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
C. vittatus is all we'r have in KS, and they are usually under rocky areas. Try finding some fields with chunks of limestone laying about that's where I usually find them hiding. It's a bit early in the year for them, in June and July they are much more abundant and active.

jc55

Arachnoknight
I have found scorpions in Florida under lose bark of fallen trees before but i guess it will depend on where you live and what species you are hunting as to their location but have fun and good luck.

TristinBey

Arachnopeon
C. vittatus is all we'r have in KS, and they are usually under rocky areas. Try finding some fields with chunks of limestone laying about that's where I usually find them hiding. It's a bit early in the year for them, in June and July they are much more abundant and active.
Where exactly have you found them at in Kansas? I’ve been looking around junction City and Manhattan for a few months now with no luck.

Diao

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I've found them just about 20 min east of Lawrence the most abundantly, as that's closer to my stomping grounds, but I've found them out at Wilson Lake that is about 45 minutes west of Junction in HUGE numbers as well, but that was close to 20 years ago. Check in areas that have ground conditions that are a bit more on the dry side, under rocks and other debris. I also found them probably in the thousands along the rotting wood walls & supports of an old barn between Salina and Junction once as well. They're around, just usually not right smack in the middle of more populated areas, you'll have to go outside of city areas a bit.