Scorpion help!!

Chy

Arachnopeon
Hi guys! I'm new to this site. My name is Chey. I'm from Oklahoma. I'm a 5 year owner of scorpions. I'm a Scorpio myself so I'm very close to mine. Unfortunately my emporer scorpion has passed away. I had him 4 years. I loved him. Now I have a red claw! She's my baby and she's also a dick. Lol if you have one then you know how they are. I'm currently searching for another red claw that's a male or an emporer scorpion sex would hopefully be a man but I'd buy either. Anyone close selling any??? I do have a big question though bc I am not a breeder nor have I bred. I was wondering if I bred my red claw would it have to be a red claw as well? When I bought her she was pregnant. I didn't know that until she had one baby on her back. She ate it yesterday :( I'm so sad. I couldn't wait to get my hands on it because I wanted to make him sweeter than his momma is...help me please! Thanks in advanced!

Attachments

Red Eunice

Arachnodemon
What species of "red claw" do you have? I believe cavimanus is commonly called "red claw". I have Pandinus viatoris and cavimanus, burrowers and tenacious when on the surface, just their nature. Doubtful anyone can train one to be "sweet".
As far as breeding, use a pair (M/F) of the same species. Just an FYI, hybridization isn't tolerated on this forum, even as a joke.
Check the for sale section, P. imperator is available from time to time, just check periodically. Since the WC ban, the price has skyrocketed, prepare to pay big $$$ for CB.
Sorry for the scorpling loss, mothers will sometimes eat their offsprings. :(

Chy

Arachnopeon
Hi. I have a Pandinus Cavimanus. I haven't seen her even burrow until she had her baby. Do yours burrow deep?She's coming back out from taking cover under her log. That's where she stayed with the scorpling. By training this new one I mean to handle it as a baby. I don't want it to stress it out like it does my female. Her names "Momma." How can you be sure of the sex on the pandinus cavimanus? I knew to use a m/f I just wasn't sure if they had to be the same exact species. I have never bred before. Much less thought about it until now. Sorry if came across wrong. I don't want to upset anyone. I will definitely check the for sale section! Thank you!! And maybe one day she will have the chance to have more! I found it odd she only had one. Do you know why that could be? Thank you for your response!! I hope you have a great day!

chanda

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Training a scorpion to allow handling? I don't think that's really possible. While it's true that some people do handle their scorpions - particularly some of the more docile species - the scorpions aren't "trained" to tolerate it. The only ones who are "trained" are the keepers, who learn to move slowly and deliberately and not make any sudden moves that might make the scorpion feel threatened - and even that is not fool-proof. A sting is always possible - as is the risk of the scorpion trying to escape and suffering a fatal fall. Handling scorpions is stressful for the animals and is generally not recommended.

Having only a single scorpling is unusual but not unheard of. It is possible that it was just an unusually small clutch - or that she had more babies but ate them. Mother scorpions do not often eat their own young, but may do so if they are under a lot of stress or if they are extremely hungry and there is a shortage of food. What I suspect, though, is that she resorbed the remainder of the babies from the clutch. When a scorpion is under a lot of stress (such as from excessive handling!) she may resorb the young, in which case they essentially dissolve inside her body and she absorbs their component nutrients.

As far as breeding is concerned, it is theoretically possible to cross-breed related species, resulting in hybrid offspring - but it is not recommended, particularly if you intend to sell/trade the offspring. Most people who want to purchase a scorpion are interested in getting a specific species, not some hybrid of dubious parentage. If hybrid scorpions get into the breeding pool, they can pollute the pure lineages, making it that much harder to find true Pandinus cavimanus (or whatever species you are breeding.) If you want to breed scorpions in the future, you should be sure that both parents are the same species. People around here tend to get very upset when intentional hybridization is brought up, because they want to make sure the scorpions in the breeding pool remain pure.

Last edited: