scorpion get mycosis in dry environment

ketx

Arachnopeon
my desert scorpion (androctonus sp) just got mycosis and I have no clue why she got one. I have kept her really dry and I only spray water a bit in her enclosure twice a month. is it possible that scorpion get mycosis in dry environment? I thought mycosis thrives on scorpions in wet environment. And i even measuring and keep monitoring the humidity with zoo med digital thermometer and its 25% humidity all the time. The daylight temp is 91-93f and night temp is 77-80f. I dont understand why it seems something is wrong with my care now. I have kept her for a year in same condition and she had no problem with mycosis but I just noticed she got one now

Last edited:

Isaax Critterz

Arachnoknight
Fungal abundance can be caused though a lack of moisture as well as too much moisture. Scorpions should be sprayed only when you feed them. ( once a week if its an adult.) Twice a month is way to long in between sprays because this species likes low humidity. But not bone-dry sub.

ketx

Arachnopeon
Fungal abundance can be caused though a lack of moisture as well as too much moisture. Scorpions should be sprayed only when you feed them. ( once a week if its an adult.) Twice a month is way to long in between sprays because this species likes low humidity. But not bone-dry sub.
i sprayed her water a bit twice a month because androctonus is known to more susceptible to mycosis due to high humidity and I heard the way to reduce the chance to get mycosis is to get lower humidity as much as possible. Dehydration might be concerning but they get water source they need from their prey items. And i often check the weather in the area where they came from and it rarely rain like once a month

Dry Desert

Arachnoprince
my desert scorpion (androctonus sp) just got mycosis and I have no clue why she got one. I have kept her really dry and I only spray water a bit in her enclosure twice a month. is it possible that scorpion get mycosis in dry environment? I thought mycosis thrives on scorpions in wet environment. And i even measuring and keep monitoring the humidity with zoo med digital thermometer and its 25% humidity all the time. The daylight temp is 91-93f and night temp is 77-80f. I dont understand why it seems something is wrong with my care now. I have kept her for a year in same condition and she had no problem with mycosis but I just noticed she got one now
What makes you think it's Mycosis.

Stress can bring on Mycosis.

Can you provide pictures.

What you think is Mycosis maybe remnants of poo.
Your husbandry seems okay.

ketx

Arachnopeon
the image is blurry and you can see there are black spots. I leave my scorpion in my room where is the most non disturbed place. I never check on them until i feed them so once a week. I thought remnant poo often stays on their tail

Attachments

ketx

Arachnopeon
What makes you think it's Mycosis.

Stress can bring on Mycosis.

Can you provide pictures.

What you think is Mycosis maybe remnants of poo.
Your husbandry seems okay.
the image is blurry but you can see there are black spots. I leave my scorpion in my room where is the most non disturbed place. I never check on them until i feed them so once a week. I thought remnant poo often stays on their tail

Attachments

Joey Spijkers

Arachnoprince
Looks like mycosis. Is ghe enclosure well ventilated? Other than that, no idea. Your care sounds good.

once a week if its an adult
Disagree. Fungus needs moisture to survive. Too low moisture increasing the chance of mycosis makes no sense. I don't think that is the cause.

ketx

Arachnopeon
Looks like mycosis. Is ghe enclosure well ventilated? Other than that, no idea. Your care sounds good.

Disagree. Fungus needs moisture to survive. Too low moisture increasing the chance of mycosis makes no sense. I don't think that is the cause.
yes its well ventilated and i even put mesh on the lid of enclosure. I dont even know if its really mycosis at this point. she had mycosis when i got her and I treated her mycosis by lower the humidity as much as possible. She got rid of it by molting but she got it again now

Last edited:

Dry Desert

Arachnoprince
yes its well ventilated and i even put mesh on the lid of enclosure. I dont even know if its really mycosis at this point. she had mycosis when i got her and I treated her mycosis by lower the humidity as much as possible. She got rid of it by molting but she got it again now
If your daytime temperature is around 93 f which is fine, and you reduce it to 77 you may find condensation is forming on the substrate.
Keep the temperature higher at night.

Also to eliminate the possible problem of over doing the spraying, just place a bottle cap of water in once a month and just leave it in over night then remove it.
Keep the Scorpion as dry and hot as possible, in the 90s is good.

ketx

Arachnopeon
If your daytime temperature is around 93 f which is fine, and you reduce it to 77 you may find condensation is forming on the substrate.
Keep the temperature higher at night.

Also to eliminate the possible problem of over doing the spraying, just place a bottle cap of water in once a month and just leave it in over night then remove it.
Keep the Scorpion as dry and hot as possible, in the 90s is good.
i reduced it to 77f at night because i thought they need day-night cycle and i checked the weather in the area where they came from. The temp was at 88-90f in daylight and 75-80f in night. They cool themselves off in the night.

Dry Desert

Arachnoprince
i reduced it to 77f at night because i thought they need day-night cycle and i checked the weather in the area where they came from. The temp was at 88-90f in daylight and 75-80f in night. They cool themselves off in the night.
That's fair enough, however in the wild scorpions will compensate for temperature variations by either burrowing deep if too cold,or staying around hot areas like stones, rocks etc. that retain heat if they wish to stay warm enough to hunt and digest.

People say " ah yes but it gets close to freezing in the deserts at night"

Also correct certain times of year, and that's when they hibrinate ( diapause)

Difficult to replicate in captivity, that's why most scorpions in captivity do best with a pretty constant temperature, especially ones from very hot climates.

ketx

Arachnopeon
That's fair enough, however in the wild scorpions will compensate for temperature variations by either burrowing deep if too cold,or staying around hot areas like stones, rocks etc. that retain heat if they wish to stay warm enough to hunt and digest.

People say " ah yes but it gets close to freezing in the deserts at night"

Also correct certain times of year, and that's when they hibrinate ( diapause)

Difficult to replicate in captivity, that's why most scorpions in captivity do best with a pretty constant temperature, especially ones from very hot climates.
I will try to do that but i actually have two scorpions in total and both of them are in same condition for a year. only she have mycosis and other one (androctonus australis) doesnt have one. I know some people said androctonus australis is more susceptible to mycosis than other androctonus species.

Dry Desert

Arachnoprince
I will try to do that but i actually have two scorpions in total and both of them are in same condition for a year. only she have mycosis and other one (androctonus australis) doesnt have one. I know some people said androctonus australis is more susceptible to mycosis than other androctonus species.
The simple probable answer is the one that came in with Mycosis didn't fully molt it out completely, or it has reoccurred.

Many cancers reappear when they seemed to have been removed - unfortunately.

ketx

Arachnopeon
The simple probable answer is the one that came in with Mycosis didn't fully molt it out completely, or it has reoccurred.

Many cancers reappear when they seemed to have been removed - unfortunately.
i think it has reoccurred because I saw mycosis (black spot) stuck on her shed skin and not her exoskeleton after her molting.

Outpost31Survivor

Arachnoprince
Once the scorpion has reached the fifth instar it no longer requires misting you should only offer it a 2ltr bottle cap of water once a month. Misting is much more beneficial for 4th instar and lower, they aren't as prone to getting mycosis. You want to keep the enclosure well ventilated and mist the walls inside the enclosure with a quick evaporation. These humidity spikes can both trigger the molting in a premolt scorpion but also assists in keeping the exuvium pliable and moist during the molting process itself.

ketx

Arachnopeon
Once the scorpion has reached the fifth instar it no longer requires misting you should only offer it a 2ltr bottle cap of water once a month. Misting is much more beneficial for 4th instar and lower, they aren't as prone to getting mycosis. You want to keep the enclosure well ventilated and mist the walls inside the enclosure with a quick evaporation. These humidity spikes can both trigger the molting in a premolt scorpion but also assists in keeping the exuvium pliable and moist during the molting process itself.
yeah it was very lightly misting on the wall of the enclosure. Sometime i didnt even mist them at all for few month because it only need for molting process since scorpion get enough water source from their prey items

Veno Manus

Arachnobaron

My Death Stalker had it bad from the previous keepers habitat care and it now has molted and has completely went away. I'd maybe suggest just avoid moisture all together and just play it safe with gutloaded well hydrated feeders. I've experienced good results and very good feeding responses with trying to replicate its natural environment. My Egyptian Green has a spot I'm watching but I'm keeping the humidity mid range to help molt and then I'm cutting it back right after. Been having some really good luck with the deserts as of lately. I hope yours molts out and gets rid of that stuff it's nasty.

Veno Manus

Arachnobaron
yeah it was very lightly misting on the wall of the enclosure. Sometime i didnt even mist them at all for few month because it only need for molting process since scorpion get enough water source from their prey items

Still trying to figure the Sex out on this on.

Attachments

Dry Desert

Arachnoprince
Still trying to figure the Sex out on this on.
So are all of us.

You need a very clear shot from underneath to be able to determine sex accurately.

Place the scorpion in a clean glass/acrylic container and photo the underside.

Veno Manus

Arachnobaron
So are all of us.

You need a very clear shot from underneath to be able to determine sex accurately.

Place the scorpion in a clean glass/acrylic container and photo the underside.

Here is the molt thats the best i got right now. I'm %99 its female 20230416_143907.jpg