Scorpion found near Eugene, OR

Mr. Mordax

Arachnoking
Old Timer
This little guy was found near Eugene last week -- the entomologist who found him told me the latin name which I promptly forgot. I've done some digging and I'm pretty sure it's Uroctonus mordax. Any thoughts? The entomologist also said the adults are around twice the size of this specimen. If I've got the species right, how do I sex this one? I think a pectine count would be difficult at best. :wall:

Thanks for any info!

jamesc

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
This thread has a picture of the female's pectines, and if you need it that bad, I can go take a picture of my male's pectines. The pectine base is much further apart in females and closer together in males, just like a lot of species. Here is a lo-fi example
\ / male
\ / female

Last edited:

Mr. Mordax

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Thanks for the info, jamesc! :)

Ed -- I didn't know what you were getting at until I looked closely. :eek:!

????josh????

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Definately U.mordax, I got two adults that are about the size of quarters, so it has some growing to do.

Mark Newton

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Try split operculum & possible visible papillae(male) and fused operculum, no genital papillae (female)

jamesc

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Try split operculum & possible visible papillae(male) and fused operculum, no genital papillae (female)
Oh yeah, forgot to mention the operculum, thanks. This site will show you what the operculum is if you do not know.

Canth

Arachnolord
Old Timer
This thread has a picture of the female's pectines, and if you need it that bad, I can go take a picture of my male's pectines. The pectine base is much further apart in females and closer together in males, just like a lot of species. Here is a lo-fi example
\ / male
\ / female

I think he needs it bad. You should get a pectine shot

Mr. Mordax

Arachnoking
Old Timer
It looks like I have a girl!

Rolled over:

zoom

After she finished playing dead and skittered up my arm:

zoom

She's so cute! Thanks for the help, everyone.

Canth

Arachnolord
Old Timer
Awww...itty bitty pectines :p They're so tiny! The scorpion itself could be crushed by a Pandinus pectine haha.

Mr. Mordax

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I have no idea . . . the entomologist who found it didn't say how long it took him to find it or how many there were. All I know is, the next time I go camping I'm bringing a blacklight. :D