Scorpion Forums

Alonso99

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
How come the Scorpion forums seems so empty compared to the T's ? They are as adorable as the T's.

sabre

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
i think scorps just have a much worse reputation. in general people are more afraid and ignorant of scorpions than they are of tarantulas. they think that all scorpions are deadly and they will try to sting you at every possible opportunity.

and then there are the people that like pets that are furry better than those that aren't.

skinheaddave

SkorpionSkin
Arachnosupporter +
There's also the colouration thing. Some Ts are unbelievably stunning, wheras scorpions (at least the commonly kept ones) tend to have a more subtle beauty. I'm obsessed with them, but even I don't expect the average Joe to appreciate the glossy darkness and agressive lines of an H.spinifer.

Cheers,
Dave

Code Monkey

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
It's definitely a subjective thing, although it's not the beauty, or appearance for everyone. I kept some scorpions (emperors obviously) about 11 years ago. Fun at first because I'd never seen the mouth parts and feeding action of a scorp up close and personal. There was also the, "Give it to Mikey, he'll eat anything!" fun as friends would come over with bugs they had caught to toss into the scorp tank for amusement - the best was an anole. It was the only time I ever saw an emp try to use its stinger and also made me very respectful of the claws because when the lizard bit the scorp on one palp it just closed that claw on the lizard's head and the loud crack was heard by all as it crushed its skull.

Still, I got bored as hell with them next to tarantulas. Something either tickles your balls, or it doesn't ;) Almost 20 years after I got my first, I still love Ts. A year later and I was thinking, "eh, scorpions". Ts for me grew out of a genuine love and fascination with spiders, the scorpion grew out of nothing but curiosity and never grew into anything more - once the curiosity was sated, I was just waiting for them things to die of old age.

Alex S.

Arachnolord
Old Timer
Forums....

Yeah, I know what you mean :( I really think some people should at least try in keeping other arachnids. Which bring me to the subject of the "Other Arachnids" forum, which totally pales in comparison to the tarantula forum :( I love tarantulas, but I really think people should try to keep another more bizzare arachnid, ushc as amblypygids (tailless whipscorpions), whipscorpions, or maybe even solifugids. They are also very amazing creatures.

Alex S.

skinheaddave

SkorpionSkin
Arachnosupporter +
You see, now there is something which appeals to me but which I haven't gotten -- and I know why. I don't like the short lifespans on most of the pseudoscorpions, true spiders etc. I want something that will live a few years at least.

Cheers,
Dave

Alex S.

Arachnolord
Old Timer
Originally posted by skinheaddave
You see, now there is something which appeals to me but which I haven't gotten -- and I know why. I don't like the short lifespans on most of the pseudoscorpions, true spiders etc. I want something that will live a few years at least.

Cheers,
Dave
Hey Dave, I totally understand your reasoning.

To people in generel: Yes, solifugids are a short lived creature, but there are also the whipscorpions and tailless whipscorpions that have a very nice lifespan (up to 10+ years), and you dont have to keep these creatures to be interested. Im just trying to encourage people to ask questions and just get interested in them without having to keep them. But I still totally understand as solifugids, whipscorpions, and tailless whipscorpions are much more understood than spiders and scorpions.

Alex S.

Code Monkey

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Re: Forums....

Originally posted by Alex S.
Yeah, I know what you mean :( I really think some people should at least try in keeping other arachnids.
That's sort of like saying if you like dogs or cats, you really ought to try keeping other mammals. "Trying" animals too often results in a neglected animal. You should keep what you enjoy and not feel that you 'should' keep any type of animal.

Alex S.

Arachnolord
Old Timer
Re: Re: Forums....

Originally posted by Code Monkey
That's sort of like saying if you like dogs or cats, you really ought to try keeping other mammals. "Trying" animals too often results in a neglected animal. You should keep what you enjoy and not feel that you 'should' keep any type of animal.
Thats exactly why I said you dont have to keep them just to be interested in them . Keeping can sometimes just be half the fun, knowing interesting facts about the animal can be the other half. I would never try to "force" anyone into keeping an animal, Im just simply suggesting to others to maybe take the time to learn about other arthropods.

Alex S.

Kugellager

ArachnoJester of the Ancient Ones
Arachnosupporter
Another reason I thing T's are more popular that Scops in the 'pet' trade is the fuzzy factor. Scorps are not cute...they are cool and interesting but not cute. I still prefer scorps. The scorp hobby is also not as developed as the T' Hobby and there is potentially more risk(danger) involved with scorps...another factor in the slow popularity growth.

John
];')