Scorpion feeding

Bjorgly

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Hi,

As you all know i am somewhat a newbie to the scorpion scene. I've got a 2 inch emperor and it has not been at the entrance of its burrow as if waiting for food as usual. Instead, when its not digging and expanding its burrow, it is sitting deep within its burrow. Now i havent fed it in over a week and it is still plump but I want to try feed it. I am worried that the cricket will go down its burrow, and the scorpion will be fasting or about to molt or something and not eat the cricket and the crickets are so bloody stupid they will not find its way up back up the burrow and it will forever torment my scorpion and stress it out.

Any insight much appreciated, im loving my scorp so far it is SO ACTIVE, it is making the biggest burrow ive ever seen and the gravel at the bottom of 4 inches of substrate is scattered EVERYWHERE as it constnatly digs and expands the burrow.

Thanks alot!

Mark

Kugellager

ArachnoJester of the Ancient Ones
Arachnosupporter
If you are really concerned about it being near moult(and it could be as it sounds like you have juvies) then just wait a week.

If you don't want to wait , you can wait until night to feed them when they are active and use a blacklight to observe them. Bring a flashlight with you so you can take a quick look to check out their carapace to see if it looks freshly molted (whitish or very light colored). Either way if you wait a week to feed them and they are chubby as you describe they should be fine as they can go a month or two w/o eating. They still need water and humidity though.

John
];')

Bjorgly

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Mine is only 2 inches and i was told not to give it water as it will get all the water it needs from the humidity and food....should i put some sort of small water dish in its cage?

Also it is still black and the same size (2 inches) as it always has been...it as just been extra active lately.
Thanks,

Mark

Kugellager

ArachnoJester of the Ancient Ones
Arachnosupporter
Yes you should have a shallow water dish for your emps. They come from the jungles of central africa where it is very humid. You can use a bottle cap from a gatorade bottle ofr something similar for a scorp that size.

John
];')