Scorpion feeding difficulties

grimmjowls

Arachnoknight
Hi, having some issues getting these two scorps to eat.

H. longimanus, fully grown or almost, ~5", temps are 71 degrees F on warm side (using a heating pad on side because ambient room temp is too low - 68?). He seems skinny to me.
I've tried: superworms, crickets
eaten (in the past): superworms, crickets, dubias
last molted: idk, not with me
last ate: middle/late August
got him: middle of may 2016 I think

P. imperator, ~2.5", about same temps.
I've tried: crickets, mealworms, superworms
eaten: crickets, dubias, mealworms
last molted: march 2016
last eaten: late July, beginning of August
got him: August 2015

Will follow up with photos of enclosures.

If you need anymore info, let me know.

Thank you for any help.

Last edited:

brandontmyers

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Temps are very low. I do not know if 71 degrees will allow their metabolism to run sufficiently enough eat on a consistent basis. I would aim for higher temperatures if possible and you should see them grow much faster.

Then again, some scorpion species do not eat every week. They can go months without food.

grimmjowls

Arachnoknight
Temps are very low. I do not know if 71 degrees will allow their metabolism to run sufficiently enough eat on a consistent basis. I would aim for higher temperatures if possible and you should see them grow much faster.

Then again, some scorpion species do not eat every week. They can go months without food.
Thank you! Will raise them. What temps do you think will be good?

grimmjowls

Arachnoknight
the longimanus used to spend time closer to the heating pad but he rarely does now

imperator is always on the warm side except at night he waddles around.

pannaking22

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
I'd shoot for 75F if possible. You could probably just start feeding every other week and see how they do. As long as they have access to water and decent humidity they should be fine.

ScorpionObsession

Arachnosquire
Brandon is right 100% aim for higher temps. As long as it doesn't get above 90 they will be ok but I'd say 78-83°F is best. Also for the Heterometrus species I would recommend high humidity keep the soil moist but not dripping wet. But I don't know much about imperators.

darkness975

Latrodectus
Arachnosupporter +
This information will apply to both species:

High 70s to low 80s is best for temperatures.
Those hides are way too big, they need to be much less cavernous. Bury them at an angle in the substrate with the front end sticking out so it looks like a legit burrow. Which leads me to my next statement:
There needs to be more substrate in there and the Heterometrus enclosure looks a bit too dry. They need several inches of substrate they can burrow in.
If those hides are wood they will likely mold after a while.

Once these issues are corrected you should see more normal behavior and a restart of feeding.

Also, @ScorpionObsession Care for P. imperator & Heterometrus is basically the same.

grimmjowls

Arachnoknight
This information will apply to both species:

High 70s to low 80s is best for temperatures.
Those hides are way too big, they need to be much less cavernous. Bury them at an angle in the substrate with the front end sticking out so it looks like a legit burrow. Which leads me to my next statement:
There needs to be more substrate in there and the Heterometrus enclosure looks a bit too dry. They need several inches of substrate they can burrow in.
If those hides are wood they will likely mold after a while.

Once these issues are corrected you should see more normal behavior and a restart of feeding.

Also, @ScorpionObsession Care for P. imperator & Heterometrus is basically the same.
Thank you!
I'll change the hides, but I'm just wondering, if they both use their hides regularly, why do they need smaller pieces? More security, or something else?

Thanks again.

darkness975

Latrodectus
Arachnosupporter +
@grimmjowls They are using the hides because that is what is there. They are adapting the best they can with what they have been given. It is best to bury hides to resemble a burrow so they can squeeze in there and terraform it to their liking. If you just have a huge cavernous hide sitting on the surface it is not very "secure" feeling.