Scorpion escaped...

Heaven Lizama

Arachnopeon
So, I am very new to keeping anything other than a dog/cat. I work at a pet store and I have 2 rescues, a ball python and an emperor scorpion. Yesterday, I changed his water and I forgot to put the lid back on his enclosure and I left the house around 3pm. We came home roughly around midnight, and he has escaped. Yes, I am a moron. So, my question is, where is he most likely to hide? I have searched under and behind the stove (he was on the kitchen counter), in all windows, looked in everything on the counter, every cabinet, crevice I could think of. What would be the best way to draw him out of hiding? He is black, so using a UV light to find him would be unnecessary because I would be able to find him very well. When we moved in (just a couple weeks ago) I sprayed every nook and cranny with insecticide (for fear of roaches in the new home.) Would he be dead? I just would hate for my husband to get stung.. as he hates that I have the scorpion anyway.

Lubed Tweezer

Arachnolord
Use the UV light in dark circumstances, close your curtains or wait for sunset (darker is better, absolutely dark is best).
Your human eyes can easily spot a bright green scorpion in darkness compared to a black one in daylight.
At night when outside temperatures are lower, open 1 or 2 windows to drop temperature in your house to about 18C (65F).
At the same time turn on heater or heating system. Your scorpion should be drawn to a warmer spot near the heating system.
That's how i hunt for my scorps when one got out..... 100% success rate for me.....
Good luck ! ;)

NYAN

Arachnoking
He is black, so using a UV light to find him would be unnecessary because I would be able to find him very well.

What? Why?

When we moved in (just a couple weeks ago) I sprayed every nook and cranny with insecticide (for fear of roaches in the new home.) Would he be dead?
It is very possible.
What would be the best way to draw him out of hiding?
Your best bet is to be on the lookout at night if it decides to move around. Additionally continue to check spots with warmth, moisture, and hiding spots. Use a black light to aid your search.

Heaven Lizama

Arachnopeon
I'm able to find him easily without a blacklight because our house, the cabinets, floors, and everything are very light colored. He stands out, doesn't blend in.

Lubed Tweezer

Arachnolord
ahumm.... yeah....yeah.... oh yes, very light colored.... sure, sure.... yes.... of course..... That's why you have already found it of course..... :bored:

Just wait for darkness, then get out the UV lamp.
The scorpion is waiting for the darkness to come out.
Please only use insecticide to kill pests, preventive usage usually does more harm than good . This is one of the main causes why anti-biotics are no longer effective.
Keep us posted because people sleeping while scorpions 'on the loose' are always interesting stories. :pompous:

NYAN

Arachnoking
I'm able to find him easily without a blacklight because our house, the cabinets, floors, and everything are very light colored. He stands out, doesn't blend in.
And? Why wouldn’t you use every tool at your disposal to help find it? This doesn’t make sense to me.

FrankiePinchinatti

Arachnoknight
If it fell onto the kitchen floor from the counter there's probably a pretty good chance that it crawled somewhere and died, scorpions are pretty delicate when it comes to falling substantial heights onto hard surfaces. I'd still try the other suggestions just in case though.

Outpost31Survivor

Arachnoprince
Definitely use the blacklight, because it may seek out warmth like behind a fridge or in a pantry or closet or even the laundry room if it can..

Poonjab

Arachnoking
May sound like a stupid question, but have you tore his enclosure apart and looked in there? The reason I ask, is because once I thought mine escaped. Couldn’t find him anywhere in his enclosure. After searching high and low, turns out he was in the enclosure and buried himself.

NMWAPBT

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
First go through the enclosure very thoroughly. Then I'd wait till dark n use a uv light n go through every room nook n cranny. Hell be around somewhere.

Dry Desert

Arachnoprince
So, I am very new to keeping anything other than a dog/cat. I work at a pet store and I have 2 rescues, a ball python and an emperor scorpion. Yesterday, I changed his water and I forgot to put the lid back on his enclosure and I left the house around 3pm. We came home roughly around midnight, and he has escaped. Yes, I am a moron. So, my question is, where is he most likely to hide? I have searched under and behind the stove (he was on the kitchen counter), in all windows, looked in everything on the counter, every cabinet, crevice I could think of. What would be the best way to draw him out of hiding? He is black, so using a UV light to find him would be unnecessary because I would be able to find him very well. When we moved in (just a couple weeks ago) I sprayed every nook and cranny with insecticide (for fear of roaches in the new home.) Would he be dead? I just would hate for my husband to get stung.. as he hates that I have the scorpion anyway.
So you work in a pet store and there is no use using a UV light as the scorpion is black -- God help your customers.