Scorpion Enclosure Setups

Kugellager

ArachnoJester of the Ancient Ones
Arachnosupporter
This thread is intended to showcase your scorp setups. Pics with a description of the enclosure and any success/failures with a particular setup are encouraged. The more information you include the better off our hobby will be.

John
];')

Kugellager

Arachnosupporter
This is my set-up for my three H.spinifer. Its a 20-long that is probably large enough to comfortably house 6 adults.

I'll add more details tomorrow...bed time now

John
];')

Attachments

Kugellager

Arachnosupporter
Here is a close-up of the H. spinifer enclosure detailing the approx 1.5 inch layer of pea-sized gravel for humififying from below.

John
];')

Attachments

skinheaddave

SkorpionSkin
Arachnosupporter +
Argh!! You beat me to it. I knew you would. My enclosure pics are still on the roll of film in my camera. I only have a couple shots left, so maybe tommorow.

Cheers,
Dave

Kugellager

Arachnosupporter
There will be more to come Dave...these I already had and finally got around to putting these up.

John
];')

Kugellager

Arachnosupporter
The aluminum foil on the sides ofthe enclosure reflects the heat that would otherwise be wasted back into the tank and allows me to use a lower wattage bulb...60w bulb to heat tank vs 75-85w without for same temp. The lamp is on one end to offer the scorp a range of temperatures.

John
];')

Kugellager

Arachnosupporter
THis is the setup I use for my Mesobuthus martensii. THey like it at about 80-85F and low humidity. I mist moderately about once per month and fill the water dish weekly letting it overflow some.

John
];')

Attachments

Kugellager

Arachnosupporter
This is the setup I use for Grosphus madagascariensis. This species is from a dry forest/savannah region. Ideal temp is about 80-85 but the humidity must be a higher than for G.flavopiceus. 70% humidity is prob ideal. I keep water dish with water at all times and mist lightly once a week...more if its particularly dry(winter with heat on) and mist the waterdish corner a bit more heavily. I also have the under-substrate humidifying system with pea-sized gravel underneath as with my H. spinifer. I add a little water weekly. Amount varies with dryness. I keep 3 adults in this "large" petpal setup. This species is communal and grows to about 2-2.5 inches long.

This setup could also be used with G. flavopiceus but I would mist less or not as heavily.

John
];')

Attachments

Kugellager

Arachnosupporter
This is my Opistophthalmus sp. setup. It is an obligate burrower abd as you can see I keep it dry up top must humid below by useing the undersubstrate method. The scorpion seems to like keeping the burrow at the dry/moist line as you may be able to see from the pictures. Its burrow runs from lower left corner to about the middle. Temps are about 80F. I add water to the tube in the left rear corner of this 5 gallon setup. I add about a cup per week and let the water dish overflow slightly once a week. I mist moderately once a month. These are not a communal species.

John
];')

Attachments

Kugellager

Arachnosupporter
This is a close-up of the O. sp. burrow outlined in white. The burrow entrance is actually near the tube in the left corner and is not visible.

John
];')

Attachments

skinheaddave

SkorpionSkin
Arachnosupporter +
Okay, as promised I scanned those pics. First, here's a pic of my standard tupperware of choice for most inverts. This size is good for a lot of the midsized scorps and Ts. Note the labels and colour-code (green for safe, yellow for dangerous, red for medically significant).

Attachments

skinheaddave

SkorpionSkin
Arachnosupporter +
Here is a smaller critter keeper in which I keep my smaller inverts (C.gracilis, all my Hottentotta, a juvie Usumbara and juvie PZB).

Attachments

skinheaddave

SkorpionSkin
Arachnosupporter +
Here's a bit of my dry rack. It may not be the most beautiful setup, but it does allow me to house numorous specimens of various species I will eventualy be breeding.

Attachments

skinheaddave

SkorpionSkin
Arachnosupporter +
Here is one of my nicer setups. This is the communal enclosure for my C.exilicauda. The bark is held onto the back of the aquarium with silicone and serves both as a hangout spot for the scorps and to hide the nasty patched crack in the back of the aquarium. The water dish is hidden under the central piece of driftwood. All of the grasses are collected and dried. The slate is held up so that it won't collapse.

Cheers,
Dave

Attachments

skinheaddave

SkorpionSkin
Arachnosupporter +
Here is a rather poor picture of my H.spinifer enclosure and the old housemate's cat. I intend to redo this enclosure at some point, so I won't go into painstaking detail unless someone wants me to. It has a false bottom and waterfall for humidity, a red and white light for light cycle/heat. There used to be real plants, but they died out so I have put in some fake stuff. Kind of a disgrace right now, but I won't mess with things until my female is postpartuition and I can move her safetly.

Cheers,
Dave

Attachments

atavuss

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Hi all, this is how I keep my scorpions, I use 15 qt. sterilite containers for the larger sp. and 6 qt. containers for the smaller sp.
I have the middle of the tops cut out and 1/8" hardware cloth hot glued in for ventilation.
this is a pic of an o. boehmi in a 6 qt. sterilite container. all of my scorps are in basic setups for ease of care and cleaning.
Ed

Kugellager

Arachnosupporter
I just edited my haddie enclosure stuff...no new pic yet...same stuff as reply to Gillian post...

John