Scorpion Communication

AP34

Arachnosquire
How do scorpions, specifically communal species, accurately distinguish potential prey from members of their own species?

I've found it impressive that, in a communal setting, a scorpion is able to catch and kill a cricket, while not harming juvenile scorpions around it.

I've read that studies of their mating rituals indicate that they use pheromones and vibrations to communicate to the other that they are the right sex and want to mate. I've also read that they may possibly detect each other visually because of their fluorescence, but I'm not sure about that theory.

Anybody have information regarding this topic?

pannaking22

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
It's all based on pheromones and vibrations to figure out who's who in an enclosure. This still applies to smaller individuals who aren't sexually mature. Not sure about the visual aspect because scorps tend to have pretty bad eyesight, especially some of the larger burrowing species.

Creepy Crawling Guy

Arachnopeon
Seismic Echolocation might come into play like bats uses screech to locate prey and obstacle ,scorp might be using the same thing but using vibration through the substrate