1. The Review & Report forums are closed to new posts. Please use our new Reviews & Reports section to leave reviews & reports. If you do not see a review item for a seller, please contact them and request they create their own review item. If you would like to leave a breeding/bite/sting report, please contact an administrator with the species name that you would like to report and what type of report you would like to leave. We will create an item for you. The Seller/Buyer/Shop Inquiries/Warnings forum is still open for new posts.
Hello there, why not take a few seconds to register on our forums and become part of the community? Just click here.

Scorpion Biology and Research - Brownell and Polis (2001)

Discussion in 'Book and Magazine Reviews' started by skinheaddave, Aug 29, 2002.

1. skinheaddave

skinheaddave SkorpionSkin Arachnosupporter

Advertisement
    Positive

While everyone is familar with the 1990 Polis book entitled "Scorpion Biology," "Scorpion Biology and Research," co-edited by Brownell and Polis (shortly before his untimely death) has not yet been hailed as an indespensable resource for scorpion enthusiasts. Let me be the first:

Hail! Hail!

This book is just as good as the first one. Although it doesn't have the same general overview of scorpions that the first one has, it contains much more detail on the most recent scorpion research that has been going on. As such, the two books together should be on every scorpion enthusiasts shelves (if you can afford them -- I have to save up for the first now).

If you are just interested in the hobby of scorpions, then you might want to give this one a miss. Even more so than the last, this book sails clear of information that might be directly applicable to someone keeping scorpions.

If, however, you want to know everything there is to know about scorpions and feel, as I do, that all info can be applied to their succesful culturing, then this book is for you.

Cheers,
    Dave

2. positive as well...what else would I say? heheh

As for this book, yes, like Dave said, it's very technical but includes a lot of really interesting info that might be desired to be known by many scorp enthusiasts, such as lots of tech info about their vision, reproduction, etc. I've had this book for some time now, and beside "The Catalog of the Scorpions of the World", this book, I've also attempted to read while driving down the road, so I must advise that if this book is a must for you, have it shipped to your house, rather than the post office. {D I personally still don't understand a lot of the information printed in this book, but I've got a few good ppl that are working with me on a lot of it, so I'm sure I'll see some positive outcome on my knowledge. Like they say, knowledge is power. ;)

adios,
    edw.

3. Prymal

Prymal Arachnoking Old Timer

This book is a definite must have for anyone interested in developing a greater and more indepth understanding of scorpions beyond the enclosure.
    While it's a bit on the expensive side for most, it's worth every dime of the cost. If this book interests you also, check out Scorpions 2001: In Memoriam Gary A. Polis.
    However, if you're looking for keeping information and other hobby-related subjects, this book has little to offer.
    The book has offerings from Doug Gaffin, Tim Benton, Viktor Fet, Philip Brownell, Roger D. Farley, Gary Polis, Wilson Lourenco, Dieter Mahsberg and a host of others.

Luc

4. HaploFool

HaploFool Arachnoknight

VA
    The Biology of Scorpions by Gary A. Polis

I have this book... it is the scorpion bible!

I bought it back in 1994 when it was in print(?) and $100 at Barnes and Noble.
    I would highly recommend getting a copy of this tome... I'll post it here if I sell mine but if I decide to - it won't be cheap!

Jason

5. tabor

tabor Arachnoprince Old Timer

different versions, different books. this book wasn't even IN print until 2001.

having said that, i feel the first edition/book stands on it's own better. This book is more complicated and while a lay person could pick up the first book and manage to understand most of it and learn a lot about scorpions, the topics and essays in this volume are far more advanced.

I would recommend this book as a resource to experienced scorpiologists and to people who already own the first edition of the book.

6. bluefrogtat2

bluefrogtat2 Arachnoangel Old Timer

i also own this book and find it very technical,but yet nicely done..
    a nice addition to my library..
    andy

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.