Scorpio Maurus dry set up

I am set to acquire a Scorpio Maurus to compliment my present P.Dictator and H.Arizonensis,the set up i intend to use is a Braplast 1.3 litre vented tub, which is 18.5 x 12 x 7.5 cms, which will use a desert sand and eco earth mix(dry),with a cork bark hide and a small water bowl,and as this species requires a bit more humidity than my Arizonensis, i thought it might be an idea to liberally spray the bottom of enclosure BEFORE adding the bone dry desert sand and eco earth substrate? This hopefuly will allow the natural dampness in depths of substrate this species apparantly requires without the elaboration of false floor water retention,a light misting once weekly is envisaged to retain the moisture within the deeper substrate,i would however appreciate some feedback on the viability of such limited innovation, if indeed it is innovative. Heating is supplied via an 80 watt Dimplex heatube which currently heats the containers for the Dictator and the Arizonensis also. I am a UK resident in North Wales, so the natural climatic conditions require heating especially in winter,and the room is unheated,the scorpions are housed in their separate mini environment containers,within the Dimplex heated cabinet ,all within the same shelf . Please can i ask for constructive feedback? Many thanks.

Last edited:

DARAPTOR

Arachnopeon
If it does get really cold I suggest you get a heating pad or a light. Other than that you seen to have everything covered!

If it does get really cold I suggest you get a heating pad or a light. Other than that you seen to have everything covered!
Thanks for your reply,i do have heating,already as i mentioned in my post,supllied by 80 watt dimplex heat tube which heats the self of the cabinte housing my scorpions,i have since been advised by the supplier that the water on base is unneccessary,and that a small water bowl iis fine. Should get my Maurus next Tuesdsy.

woodie

Arachnosquire
I kept S. maurus for years in the past and used a similar set up to the picture above. straw in corner which water was poured into to keep lower layers moist while top was dry. In my experience they preferred a more clay based soil in which to build their burrows. However When kept correctly they will become a pet hole