Scorpio maurus, anyone?

Dave S.

Arachnopeon
Hey guys, does anyone have some really good info on Scorpio maurus? I found some stuff on the web but none of it was extensive or looked reliable. Caresheets, sites, or personal info would all be appreciated. Thanks.

drapion

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Wow!!! Now your using the internet to look things up...How amazing, I thought the internet is full of lies and only lies!!!Crazy People!!

Rigelus

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Hey guys, does anyone have some really good info on Scorpio maurus? I found some stuff on the web but none of it was extensive or looked reliable. Caresheets, sites, or personal info would all be appreciated. Thanks.
You're right, theres hardly any decent info on this species despite it being kept by numerous hobbiests. I ran into the same problem a while back.

From my own experience i can tell you that they are not really communal so it'd be wise to house them individually.

I keep mine on the top shelf in my invert room where the temperature gets to 27-29c during the day and down to approx 22c at night during this time of the year. Ocassionally the temperature gets into the low 30's and when this happens they usually dissapear into their hides/burrows. Allthough any other time they are usually out posing aggresively most periods of the day. This is both sexes.
They don't receive direct light and i think this is one of the reasons they are all usually out and about.

They are housed in 20 x 20 x 20cm containers which are big enough to be able to give them a small damp area away from their main hide area. This help to keep the humidity around 50-55%. They also have water bowls (bottle caps) and i have many times observed both sexes drinking from them. I even have a male that likes to partially submerge itself in the water.
I don't know about palmatus but fuscus is definetly not a desert scorpion.
Mine have been kept this way for quite a while now and there hasn't been any signs of mycosis.

I throw a food item into their enclosures twice a week and it is seldom that they are there the following day. If they are i remove them and try again a couple of days later.
This carries on until they are "plump" and then i give them a break for a while (S.S.O.P).

Their substrate is a mix of nearly dry cocopeat and sand (70/30%) and has a depth of 10 cm's. Stones and bark decorate the surface.
As i said before i dampen of 1 corner of their containers every couple of weeks allthough the bottle caps are allways filled up when they are empty.
I also experience that they like to dig around the dampened area a couple of days after it has received water. They usually dig a shallow scrape and then lie in it for a few hours.
I had originally thought that this meant i was keeping them to dry but when i experimented with a damper setup i found that the scorpion(male test subject) hardly ever went down onto the substrate instead prefering to find a place as high of the ground as it could get. A week later his setup was readjusted to the moderatly dry setup and he went back to his original behaviour.

I personally think these are great scorpions with their firery attitudes. They'll rush into a skin attack with anything that enters their "sensor range" so watch your fingers..;)

Mega

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
they are very funny
even i drop some water on the water dish
they will try to attack the "air"