Scorp Supplies

bryverine

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Hello,
I'm trying to put a shopping list together for my future H. arizonensis.

Can you tell me if I'm missing anything or if I don't need anything I'm about to list?

It wound be kept in a heated closet with my tarantulas at 78-84°F.

List:
  1. 5.5 gallon "Zilla Critter Cage"
  2. 1 bag Zoo med excavator clay
  3. 1 bag Playground sand
  4. Tall water dish
  5. Wait =>filled tank is dry => scorpion
I have several sizes of dubia available, will they take them?

RMJ

Arachnosquire
Water dish not necessary, we need to keep humidity down to a minimum for these guys :)

They get all the moisture they need from their prey. I wouldn't be too fussed about dubia size, just go by the scorp size when you get it :).

In regards the to kritter cage, I would personally add some flat rock/slate type stones and maybe some drift wood etc to give the scorp a better sense of security and more scenery to interact with. You will find they love to burrow under a well positioned rock/wood piece so 'set' them in place when you pour in/mould in the excavator clay & sand mix and then let it dry for a week or so.

All the best!

bryverine

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Water dish not necessary, we need to keep humidity down to a minimum for these guys :)

They get all the moisture they need from their prey. I wouldn't be too fussed about dubia size, just go by the scorp size when you get it :).

In regards the to kritter cage, I would personally add some flat rock/slate type stones and maybe some drift wood etc to give the scorp a better sense of security and more scenery to interact with. You will find they love to burrow under a well positioned rock/wood piece so 'set' them in place when you pour in/mould in the excavator clay & sand mix and then let it dry for a week or so.

All the best!
Thank you, a couple more questions.

Is 5.5 gallons good for their entire life?

So should a 10 lb of excavator clay to 50 lb of sand be an OK mix?

Is there ever a time when I should offer a water dish?

Are those Asbolus verrucosus a good tank mate for the scorpions? Where do people get them these days?

RMJ

Arachnosquire
Thank you, a couple more questions.

Is 5.5 gallons good for their entire life? Yes but bigger is better :)

So should a 10 lb of excavator clay to 50 lb of sand be an OK mix? I would have slightly more clay so it sets right

Is there ever a time when I should offer a water dish? I have never but some people do once a month over night or something similar

Are those Asbolus verrucosus a good tank mate for the scorpions? Where do people get them these days? Yes they are, no idea where to get them from as im in the UK and no suppliers here! let me know if you have someone willing to ship!

Tenevanica

Arachnodemon

shining

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Hello,
I'm trying to put a shopping list together for my future H. arizonensis.

Can you tell me if I'm missing anything or if I don't need anything I'm about to list?

It wound be kept in a heated closet with my tarantulas at 78-84°F.

List:
  1. 5.5 gallon "Zilla Critter Cage"
  2. 1 bag Zoo med excavator clay
  3. 1 bag Playground sand
  4. Tall water dish
  5. Wait =>filled tank is dry => scorpion
I have several sizes of dubia available, will they take them?
I would go for a standard 10 gallon if you're getting that overpriced Zilla 5 gallon. A standard 10 gallon will run you $10 and the lid probably $15. Plus you more than likely wont be able to stuff all of that sand and clay in the 5. The 10 will also have more ground space to work with decor and clay creations.

Do you remember my comment concerning my sand/clay P. liosoma tank? Your desertscaping with clay and sand is limitless.

bryverine

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
I would go for a standard 10 gallon if you're getting that overpriced Zilla 5 gallon. A standard 10 gallon will run you $10 and the lid probably $15. Plus you more than likely wont be able to stuff all of that sand and clay in the 5. The 10 will also have more ground space to work with decor and clay creations.

Do you remember my comment concerning my sand/clay P. liosoma tank? Your desertscaping with clay and sand is limitless.
If I can get away with a 5.5 gallon, it'd be preferable. I'm severely limited on space in my heated closet. I'm also concerned about the weight on my wall shelves.

The agreeably overpriced tank ($36 at LPS) is for to put the wife at ease. She doesn't care for tarantulas, but she really doesn't like scorpions. She's letting me get it anyway (she's definitely keeper).

darkness975

Latrodectus
Arachnosupporter +
I use a small bottle cap water dish for all my Hadrurus sp. I occasionally catch them drinking from it. Such a small water dish will not harm your specimen @bryverine