Scorp On It's Back!!!

mikadganjad

Arachnopeon
Hi Everyone,
This is my first post on this site, but have been a member for over a year now.
I have owned a Flat Rock Scorp since March last year and up till now have little or no probs whatsoever.
Last night, however, a friend asked to see it, so, after taking off the lid and lifting it's favourite cave hidey place.....To my horror the poor thing was lying flat on it's back.:eek:
It was then I thought I had lost yet another treasured pet.
I picked up my tweezers to lift it out, only to find that it was not dead and very much alive when it flicked itself over and darted to the other side of it's tank.
Is this a common practice with Scorps or is there a hidden meaning to which I need to know???
Thanks in advance for any advice.:worship:

Gigas

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Scorps don't moult on their backs ;)

He may have been playing dead hoping you didn't se it then darted after you touched it.

Arachnophilist

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
actually I have seen pictures of people scorpions molting from their backs.. someones P.trans just did and they posted about it. I had never heard of it before but thats what it said.

Last edited:

Arlius

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Maybe it was hanging upside down and when you removed its hide, it let go... thus laying on its back?

EAD063

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Maybe it was hanging upside down and when you removed its hide, it let go... thus laying on its back?
That's what I think. I've seen one of mine scurry into a smaller enterance to her burrow and sometimes in the scamper she lays under there until shes comfotable enough to come out and go into the main part. Although they usually flip over once the pressure is released from above them (lifting the rock or water dish or whatever it's under).

Michiel

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Arlius hit the jackpot.

Catalepsy (playing dead) or thanatosis is not known in Hadogenes, it is more known in Buthids, especially the young or small species. It was probably playing the cliffhanger untill you came along :)

Alakdan

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
My australis and P. trans molted on its back. I got nervous when I saw it.

Chaerilus and Liocheles always play dead when surprised. IME.

Michiel

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Alakdan,

This behaviour you describe is not the same as catalepsy. A lot of scorpions freeze when you remove there hide, because they go from dark to bright light (startling response). Try comparing it by looking in to the sun, and then remove your sunglasses, your eyes will have to adjust and you will not move for a couple of seconds....
When they stay still, even when prodded with forceps, then you can speak of catalepsy. I have grabbed individual B.jacksoni's who dangled lifeless from my forceps and ran to their hides when put back on the substrate.....

Catalepsy might well be apparent in other genera.....