scorp molting as I type

Galapoheros

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
A female Parabuthus transvaalicus is molting right now. It's the big one of the three. It has a damaged telson. The little growth you see is growth from damage before the last molt. Should be interesting to see what the new telson growth will look like after this molt.

H. cyaneus

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Hey, not to bear bad news but scorpions don't rengerate that often after a molt. Maybe it will though, I haven't had it happen to me yet..

Mike

Galapoheros

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Hey Mike, yeah I remember reading the non-regeneration thing about limbs but apparently they can regenerate their telson often, esp if it wasn't broken off too far at the base. This one's telson was broken off right at the base but it looks like she still had plenty of reg cells. It was nice to see it come back a little. For years I used to think they could regenerate limbs until I read they couldn't a few years ago. That surprised me. Here it is. It just finished. The telson looks better, still short. Guess she's got a 38 special now ....but still shoots 44 mag ammo!

Mark Newton

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Fascinating and I've never seen a scorp shed its skin upside down before..:worship:

Gigas

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
The upside down moulting seems to be a characteristic of Parabuthus sp. I can't imagine why though?