Scorp behavior question

Thoth

Arachnopharoah
Old Timer
I'm mainly a tarantula guy but own a O.walhbergii (possibly glabrifrons). Anyway I'm a bit of noob when it comes to the finer points of scorpion keeping (got a couple of books but they are lacking).

I noticed today while feeding that my scorp started rubbing its aculeus across the back of its mesosoma. Is this normal or an indication something may be wrong?

Its about 3 inches from telson to chelicerae. I keep on 4 inches of peat with a piece of cork bark. The peat is slightly damp (i.e. not bone dry).

While I have your attention, is there any major difference in lifespan between male and females as in tarantulas (could seem to find the answer)?

Thanks.

Brian S

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Its about 3 inches from telson to chelicerae. I keep on 4 inches of peat with a piece of cork bark. The peat is slightly damp (i.e. not bone dry).
That species is from a dry area of the world so be careful about that. When I kept this species I kept them on bone dry substrate. They are fossoral (burrowers) so give it room to dig.

While I have your attention, is there any major difference in lifespan between male and females as in tarantulas (could seem to find the answer)?
No, they are usually about the same

Ryan C.

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
The rubbing of its aculeus across its mesosoma is just a way of grooming itself. :)

Cheers.

H. cyaneus

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
This genus is kinda weird when it comes to substrate. I found that mine likes a peat/sand mixture that was wetted and dried. In the wild they burrow in very hard substrate. Their chelicre(spelling?) are specially made for breaking up the ground. Should see if I can get a decent pic of my set up, seems to be working good.

But yeah, Ryan answered your question. :p

Mike

Thoth

Arachnopharoah
Old Timer
Thanks everyone.

Like I said I have it on 4 inches of peat. It burrowed but currently is hanging out outside its burrow. the only reason the sub is not bone dry because (which now I suspecting maybe wrong) one source said to mist a corner weekly for its moisture. I'll probably switch over to a small bottle cap water dish.