Scolopendra Subspinipes Ssp. ‘Sumatra’, ‘Sumatran Giant Centipede’

Arachnomaniak

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Here are a few pics of one of my Sumatrans out for a stroll! Sorry for the blurry pics, new camera and still playing with the settings! Flash + pedes usually doesn't turn out well so these were just experimenting. Also, it was a little hard to get him/her to sit still for a photo op :p
You can kind of see how red they are in the pics, nothing like seeing them "in person" though!

Enjoy!

-Dave-

Last edited:

Arachnomaniak

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Wow, didn't realize the pics were GIGANTIC! Might have to do some scrolling to see them properly!

EDIT - NM fixed them :) Enjoy!

Last edited:

bistrobob85

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Nice pics Dave!!!! They look pretty big, maybe you should try putting something in to use as a comparison to show the size :).

phil.

Arachnomaniak

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Nice pics Dave!!!! They look pretty big, maybe you should try putting something in to use as a comparison to show the size :).

phil.
They are pretty big :p I'll be sure to put something in next time as a reference. I love these beauties!

tyrel

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
If thier bite wasn't so nasty I'd order one in a second. Amazing color! Mabye some day... :rolleyes:

syiware

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
it looks like Scolopendra subspinipes dehaani(malaysian cherry red)
and sumatra, its location is also close to malaysia.
are you sure about the scientific name of that pede?
anyway, nice pede..!

Galapoheros

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
ROCK! Looks like a pretty big one. I think these might like it a little cooler, like mid to low 70's. That's the temp I keep mine in and I've had it for well over a year now, coming up on a year and a half. I got it as an adult. Don't know how old it is. Good luck with it. When I had it in a warmer room, it would run around acting panicky and trying to get out all the time. A big change in behavior when I put it in a cooler spot. Usually comes out to hunt or is under a rock.

beetleman

Arachnoking
Old Timer
definitly a nice 1 at that, i have 1 also cb baby from the mother i had,she died awhile ago:( sold the babies but kept 1 it's about 4" now and kicking some major butt,i keep mine at room temps,but i'm in fla.not the best climate for them, but this 1 is going strong:clap: good luck with yours.

ragnew

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Very very cool :clap: My little ones (Malaysian Cherry) an eating machine! If he follows suit with my other adult de haani's I'm going to end up with a handful!

I can't wait!