Scolopendra subspinipes security

zyphonix223

Arachnosquire
Hi guys I have this fish tank which is 11.5x11.5x11.5”. I had to make a custom lid for it but there is a .4 c/m gap between the lid and the top of the enclosure. Unlikely a 6” subspinipes can squeeze through? I don’t want to take any chances. But it’s less than half a cm gap. What do you guys think? I’m also worried about lack of ventilation. Would it be better to just make a wooden lid with steel micron mesh? What kind of mesh do u guys recommend? I have 200 micron mesh for ants. Thank you

Attachments

Liquifin

Arachnoking
Never use any lids with a gap for a centipede. They will squeeze out and escape, as centipedes are constantly climbing, moving, and trying to get out at night. With the slightest gap, they will squeeze out by flattening and decompressing their bodies to be slightly flatter to squeeze through. Don't take any chances as they will constantly wander once they escape. They're not like tarantulas because a tarantula will settle somewhere once they find a spot after escaping. Centipedes will constantly be on the move once they escape, so I highly recommend any lid that has actual weight and has no gaps for possible squeezing or biting out of to escape. Centipedes are ridiculously strong, consistent and always on the move at night for a way out.

zyphonix223

Arachnosquire
Never use any lids with a gap for a centipede. They will squeeze out and escape, as centipedes are constantly climbing, moving, and trying to get out at night. With the slightest gap, they will squeeze out by flattening and decompressing their bodies to be slightly flatter to squeeze through. Don't take any chances as they will constantly wander once they escape. They're not like tarantulas because a tarantula will settle somewhere once they find a spot after escaping. Centipedes will constantly be on the move once they escape, so I highly recommend any lid that has actual weight and has no gaps for possible squeezing or biting out of to escape. Centipedes are ridiculously strong, consistent and always on the move at night for a way out.
Thank you, you are right. I adjusted it so that there is no gap now and the only ventilation is a hole with steel mesh covering it. Would it be acceptable to just spray much less since there is not as much airflow?
The lid is 1.43 kg btw

Attachments

Liquifin

Arachnoking
The lid is heavy enough, but ventilation might be a problem. Any way to get more ventilation holes?

Taffy

Arachnoknight
Hi guys I have this fish tank which is 11.5x11.5x11.5”. I had to make a custom lid for it but there is a .4 c/m gap between the lid and the top of the enclosure. Unlikely a 6” subspinipes can squeeze through? I don’t want to take any chances. But it’s less than half a cm gap. What do you guys think? I’m also worried about lack of ventilation. Would it be better to just make a wooden lid with steel micron mesh? What kind of mesh do u guys recommend? I have 200 micron mesh for ants. Thank you
it will be fine. people like to pretend that centipedes are much more capable than they actually are. a 6” subspinipes will not be able to squeeze through a half cm gap.

zyphonix223

Arachnosquire
The lid is heavy enough, but ventilation might be a problem. Any way to get more ventilation holes?
I would have to drill more holes which is difficult with glass but I'll try. Thank you for the input

zyphonix223

Arachnosquire
it will be fine. people like to pretend that centipedes are much more capable than they actually are. a 6” subspinipes will not be able to squeeze through a half cm gap.
Thanks, there is no longer a gap. I was wondering however what types of metal mesh can a larger scolopendra like subspinipes chew through?

Taffy

Arachnoknight
Thanks, there is no longer a gap. I was wondering however what types of metal mesh can a larger scolopendra like subspinipes chew through?
they really can’t chew through metal mesh. metal mesh works well. 100% of the time when people claim their centipede chewed through metal mesh there was actually a preexisting hole in the mesh that the pede squeezed through :)