Scolopendra subspinipes questions?

Grinxh

Arachnopeon
So vietnamese centipede vs Chinese red head. So the difference is sp? Color forms? Both are scolopendra subspinipes right?

Liquifin

Arachnoking
Centipedes can be confusing, but there are many different locality and regional variants to the Scolopendra subspinipes and other species of Scolopendra in general. Vietnamese centipede is typically referring to S. subspinipes, but almost the majority of the species sold as Vietnamese centipedes are actually just S. dehaani. So people are usually tricked into buying them instead of actual S. subspinipes. Both S. subspinipes ans S. dehaani have many regional/locaility/color variants so they're treated like different species. Scolopendra are quite the mess from my understanding.

Liquifin

Arachnoking
Lmao well thats both insightful and confusing
I'm not the most experienced when it comes to pedes, but I have owned some S. dehaani color variants. So I can show you them, but as for explaining pedes in general, someone else can probably explain it much more clearly or better overall.

Scolopendra dehaani (The normal and most common one sold)
View media item 48414
Scolopendra dehaani "Red Leg Color Variant" - (Not too sure of its locality)

IMG_1093.JPG

Scolopendra dehaani "Orange Leg Color Variant" - (Not too sure of the locality of this one either)

IMG_1583.JPG

Grinxh

Arachnopeon
That offers a little insight ty for the response and piks. Do u treat them all the same humidity wise???

Liquifin

Arachnoking
That offers a little insight ty for the response and piks. Do u treat them all the same humidity wise???
Humidity is really not that relevant as long as you provide moist substrate. I only have the S. dehaani Orange Leg left as I lost my normal S. dehaani due to an escape (lesson learned) and the S. dehaani Red Leg was sold off. But in general, I keep them all the same and they're very hardy as long as they moist substrate to burrow.

Grinxh

Arachnopeon
Right on bro everyone always says do research before buying in my opinion asking a question on this site leaves one with more experience AND the feeling if being spanked by parents 😂

Introvertebrate

Arachnoprince
Arachnosupporter
Not to change the subject, but anyone have experience with Scolopendra Polymorpha? Native American species tend to be cheaper and easier to come by, although not as epic looking.

Not to change the subject, but anyone have experience with Scolopendra Polymorpha? Native American species tend to be cheaper and easier to come by, although not as epic looking.
They're not cheaper. You just get a smaller centipede with a less potent venom. Better for beginners. Go in the classifieds. You'll find some.

Bluedreams

Arachnopeon
I keep my dehaani on moist coco coir holds moisture really well & as previously stated it’s critical To maintain that.

I keep my dehaani on moist coco coir holds moisture really well & as previously stated it’s critical To maintain that.
Coconut coir can cause impactions. I like a mixture of sand and black forest dirt because it holds moisture and allows the centipede to burrow without the substrate collapsing. Plus, no risk of any digestive blockages if the food gets dirt on it.

Liquifin

Arachnoking
Coconut coir can cause impactions. I like a mixture of sand and black forest dirt because it holds moisture and allows the centipede to burrow without the substrate collapsing. Plus, no risk of any digestive blockages if the food gets dirt on it.
That is absolutely not true. I know people who've kept pedes on coco coir for a long time and people who've used them for years without problems. That's a myth that coco coir/fiber can cause impactions for pedes.

Ian14

Arachnobaron
I've heard that species is communal. Have you tried having a colony yet?
No.
My understanding is that they need to be raised together rather than introduced. I didnt realise they could be raised this way until after I had got mine, otherwise I would have ordered a couple more.

No.
My understanding is that they need to be raised together rather than introduced. I didnt realise they could be raised this way until after I had got mine, otherwise I would have ordered a couple more.
In times like these, it's never a bad idea to buy more centipedes 😉