Scolopendra subspinipes mutilans

Alex9104

Arachnosquire
Works on my desktop but not on my phone. And I'm still pretty convinced this is Scolopendra heros not Scolopendra mutilans. Some stills would help clear this up 😉
Yep, just got on my laptop to see the video, confirmed heros. Not mutilans.

Scoly

Arachnobaron
Wait were the hind legs black?
Here's a screen grab. Definitely S. heros!

1612875286191.png

@Grinxh whoever sold this to you as S.mutilans has no idea what they're talking about! But you should be happy, it grows much larger and is generally deemed a more "valuable" species - except if you're in an area where they are found. Actually, maybe mutilans are really sought after where you live, not sure. But either way, have words with whoever ID'd a North American species as a Chines one :p

Alex9104

Arachnosquire
Here's a screen grab. Definitely S. heros!

View attachment 375145

@Grinxh whoever sold this to you as S.mutilans has no idea what they're talking about! But you should be happy, it grows much larger and is generally deemed a more "valuable" species - except if you're in an area where they are found. Actually, maybe mutilans are really sought after where you live, not sure. But either way, have words with whoever ID'd a North American species as a Chines one :p
Yeah it’s a heros, I saw the video, I think S. mutilans can grow up to 22 but castaneiceps can reach 25, the difference is not too big, but it is generally more common for castaneiceps to grow bigger

Grinxh

Arachnopeon
Ty guys for that ID I suspected it was not what it was sold as as soon as I rehoused it. Nbd I'm still happy I suppose.

Alex9104

Arachnosquire
Ty guys for that ID I suspected it was not what it was sold as as soon as I rehoused it. Nbd I'm still happy I suppose.
How much did you get it for and what’s the body length? Just curious if you got a good deal or not

Grinxh

Arachnopeon
I paid 70 I think. This one is 6.5 inches n honestly not aggressive. Shit it was an impulse buy lol. I'm in Colorado

Alex9104

Arachnosquire
I paid 70 I think. This one is 6.5 inches n honestly not aggressive. Shit it was an impulse buy lol. I'm in Colorado
Honestly that’s not a bad deal, do you see them in the wild? If not then it’s a great deal, 6inchers are about $150 normally

Grinxh

Arachnopeon
I have never seen them in the wild in my state nor have I heard of them here... what did u guys looks at to identify this as heros? I'm new to centipedes and am trying to learn everything.

Alex9104

Arachnosquire
I have never seen them in the wild in my state nor have I heard of them here... what did u guys looks at to identify this as heros? I'm new to centipedes and am trying to learn everything.
You mean like reference picture? They’re all over the internet, but if you curious about characteristics, there’s like a little ring on its neck, and also the hind legs are black, which is different from mutilans (completely red hind legs) also if you look at the sides you’ll find that it is completely black (one of the reasons why this is my favorite heros species), which is different from mutilans as well

Grinxh

Arachnopeon
Exactly what I was asking ty
You mean like reference picture? They’re all over the internet, but if you curious about characteristics, there’s like a little ring on its neck, and also the hind legs are black, which is different from mutilans (completely red hind legs)