Scolopendra subspinipes/dehaani How to work with them

Teds ts and Inverts

Arachnobaron
Hi guys, I’ve been keeping a Rhysida Longipes (African Longtail Centipede) and a Scutigera coleoptrata (House Centipede) with success, but a local exotic pet shop has a Vietmamese Centipede for sale (judging by coloration, I think it’s a S. dehaani), and I’ve always wanted a Giant Centipede, but my parents (mainly dad) don’t feel that I could safely keep a centipede of that size and nasty disposition. So I would like some kind (and convincing ;)) advice to show him that they can safely be worked with, and that I could keep one with success. I feel I have enough experience with inverts (B. hamorii, T. stirmi, 2 C. torreyas, and the centipedes listed above), that I have general care down (humidity levels, substrate, etc.) so I just need advice on how to work with them. Sorry I talk so much, but advice would be definitely appreciated. Thx again!

P.S. there’s a pic to help with I.D. (It’s about 6 inches)

Attachments

NYAN

Arachnoking
That’s a scolopendra dehanni. I’m not sure what advise I can give as to ‘working with them.’ I supoose common sense is needed ie: don’t handle it unless you’re prepared to be bitten. The venom of this species is awful, you should read bite reports and see photos to get an idea. their attitude is skittish, they are fast and they burrow a lot also, they won’t attack you and perfer to hide. Use of tongs is recommended for cage maintenance. Centipedes are escape artists also, they can be kept in a tall container which lock. I keep most of my Pedes in plastic storage tubs with holes drilled or poked in them. Also, not recommended but I had the same species when I was half your age. Im curious how much is it being sold for?

Last edited:

RTTB

Arachnoprince
Good advice given already. Escape proof tubs and long tongs along with other precautionary measures(like when doing maintenance put the enclosure inside a big tall tub) and you will do fine. Never be in a hurry and no distractions are my rule of thumb when working with the big centipedes.

StampFan

Arachnodemon
Hi guys, I’ve been keeping a Rhysida Longipes (African Longtail Centipede) and a Scutigera coleoptrata (House Centipede) with success, but a local exotic pet shop has a Vietmamese Centipede for sale (judging by coloration, I think it’s a S. dehaani), and I’ve always wanted a Giant Centipede, but my parents (mainly dad) don’t feel that I could safely keep a centipede of that size and nasty disposition. So I would like some kind (and convincing ;)) advice to show him that they can safely be worked with, and that I could keep one with success. I feel I have enough experience with inverts (B. hamorii, T. stirmi, 2 C. torreyas, and the centipedes listed above), that I have general care down (humidity levels, substrate, etc.) so I just need advice on how to work with them. Sorry I talk so much, but advice would be definitely appreciated. Thx again!

P.S. there’s a pic to help with I.D. (It’s about 6 inches)
If you're 16, and in a couple of years you're going to leave that house and likely go off to some sort of post-secondary, likely where you cannot take a pet like this, your parents' concerns are valid. It could live beyond what you're expecting. Similarly, if you have younger siblings, having a pet like this with smaller children is similarly a concern. Sounds like parents being parents. Every parent has a line that has to be drawn.

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
Ah ah, well, as stated, the venom of such 'pede is quite brutal. Brutal, like a 'Mortal Kombat' 'Brutality'. :pompous:

So don't get tagged son, and stay safe.

NYAN

Arachnoking
I think if his parents allow it, he should go for it. Centipedes are amazing animals and are fun pets given you exercise caution and respect them.

Teds ts and Inverts

Arachnobaron
That’s a scolopendra dehanni. I’m not sure what advise I can give as to ‘working with them.’ I supoose common sense is needed ie: don’t handle it unless you’re prepared to be bitten. The venom of this species is awful, you should read bite reports and see photos to get an idea. their attitude is skittish, they are fast and they burrow a lot also, they won’t attack you and perfer to hide. Use of tongs is recommended for cage maintenance. Centipedes are escape artists also, they can be kept in a tall container which lock. I keep most of my Pedes in plastic storage tubs with holes drilled or poked in them. Also, not recommended but I had the same species when I was half your age. Im curious how much is it being sold for?
When I say “working with them”, I mean stuff like transfers, cleaning water dishes, feedings, etc. And I believe it is 30 bucks.

Teds ts and Inverts

Arachnobaron
When I say “working with them”, I mean stuff like transfers, cleaning water dishes, feedings, etc. And I already took a look at the bite reports, and, to say the least, NOBODY should want to get tagged by one lol. But with using common sense and taking precautions, the risk of a bite is definitely minimized (which is the point I’m trying to get across to my dad). And I believe it is 30 bucks.

NYAN

Arachnoking
When I say “working with them”, I mean stuff like transfers, cleaning water dishes, feedings, etc. And I believe it is 30 bucks.
Get a big sterling tub. Should only be necessary to do one transfer that way. I use bottlecaps or small deli cups, I can use tongs to grab them that way. For feedings I drop crickets, roaches, superworms, fruit, frozen thawed pinky mice, meat, whatever else and then use tongs to remove it. Some of my pedes are socialized and therefore I put my hands in there to handle them and do maintenance, I would NOT recommend this with a dehanni. $30 is a good price, expos tend to have them for less but if you don’t plan on going to one it is better than paying shipping.

Teds ts and Inverts

Arachnobaron
Get a big sterling tub. Should only be necessary to do one transfer that way. I use bottlecaps or small deli cups, I can use tongs to grab them that way. For feedings I drop crickets, roaches, superworms, fruit, frozen thawed pinky mice, meat, whatever else and then use tongs to remove it. Some of my pedes are socialized and therefore I put my hands in there to handle them and do maintenance, I would NOT recommend this with a dehanni. $30 is a good price, expos tend to have them for less but if you don’t plan on going to one it is better than paying shipping.
Yup, I definitely wasn't planning on socializing a dehaani, lol. And do you think that I could house one in a 10 gallon aquarium with a sliding/locking lid? I know that Sterlite tubs are probably more ideal, but I love having my animals in good looking enclosures ;). I know a big key to escape proof centipede enclosures is height, which is why I feel that a 10 gallon tank would be alright. And as I mentioned earlier, the lid locks, but do you think I'll have to replace the metal screen with plexiglass with holes drilled into it? Because I've heard that they can chew through certain metal and mesh screens.

NYAN

Arachnoking
Yup, I definitely wasn't planning on socializing a dehaani, lol. And do you think that I could house one in a 10 gallon aquarium with a sliding/locking lid? I know that Sterlite tubs are probably more ideal, but I love having my animals in good looking enclosures ;). I know a big key to escape proof centipede enclosures is height, which is why I feel that a 10 gallon tank would be alright. And as I mentioned earlier, the lid locks, but do you think I'll have to replace the metal screen with plexiglass with holes drilled into it? Because I've heard that they can chew through certain metal and mesh screens.
People like tubs for a variety of reasons and their ability to maintain moisture is one of them. I had a dehanni in a screen enclosure and the substrate needed to be moistened very often. Plexiglass would be a solution to that. I am aware you want to see your animal, the tubs I use are pretty clear and I can easily see inside. I’ve also heard of them ‘chewing’ mesh but I think that’s a bit of an exaggeration. They can’t really chew but more so pry it apart I believe, a good mesh won’t allow that, but again a tub is best. Funny thing I’ve been woken up my my heros trying to squeeze though the lid of its tub.

Teds ts and Inverts

Arachnobaron
If you're 16, and in a couple of years you're going to leave that house and likely go off to some sort of post-secondary, likely where you cannot take a pet like this, your parents' concerns are valid. It could live beyond what you're expecting. Similarly, if you have younger siblings, having a pet like this with smaller children is similarly a concern. Sounds like parents being parents. Every parent has a line that has to be drawn.
Yup, I have a younger sister, but she's 13 and I doubt she'll want to go anywhere near it, lol. And I definitely respect the fact that my dad just wants me to be safe and out of harms way. But I guess what I'm trying to prove is that giant pedes CAN be kept safely and that I can reassure them that I'm up to the task and that it can be done with no one having a hospital visit, or a 8 inch centipede being on the loose in the house.

NYAN

Arachnoking
Yup, I have a younger sister, but she's 13 and I doubt she'll want to go anywhere near it, lol. And I definitely respect the fact that my dad just wants me to be safe and out of harms way. But I guess what I'm trying to prove is that giant pedes CAN be kept safely and that I can reassure them that I'm up to the task and that it can be done with no one having a hospital visit, or a 8 inch centipede being on the loose in the house.
Other giant Pedes that pack less of a punch are heros. They usually go for $100 ish though. Also the brutal truth use that most people just have to wait out the effects of the venom. Pain killers such as morphine don’t touch pede venom, you’ll get a tetanus shot though. When I was bitten by my hainanum I didn’t need to seek medical attention, I cleaned the bite site and just waited.

Teds ts and Inverts

Arachnobaron
People like tubs for a variety of reasons and their ability to maintain moisture is one of them. I had a dehanni in a screen enclosure and the substrate needed to be moistened very often. Plexiglass would be a solution to that. I am aware you want to see your animal, the tubs I use are pretty clear and I can easily see inside. I’ve also heard of them ‘chewing’ mesh but I think that’s a bit of an exaggeration. They can’t really chew but more so pry it apart I believe, a good mesh won’t allow that, but again a tub is best. Funny thing I’ve been woken up my my heros trying to squeeze though the lid of its tub.
I would love to get my hands on a heros man, such a cool-looking and unique pede. And, would you mind posting a link or just some detailed pics of what your tubs look like?

Teds ts and Inverts

Arachnobaron
Other giant Pedes that pack less of a punch are heros. They usually go for $100 ish though. Also the brutal truth use that most people just have to wait out the effects of the venom. Pain killers such as morphine don’t touch pede venom, you’ll get a tetanus shot though. When I was bitten by my hainanum I didn’t need to seek medical attention, I cleaned the bite site and just waited.
Good to know, and I think Ken The Bug Guy has some heros arizonensis for sale, but they're kinda pricey like you said.

NYAN

Arachnoking
I would love to get my hands on a heros man, such a cool-looking and unique pede. And, would you mind posting a link or just some detailed pics of what your tubs look like?
The tubs themselves or the setups? I don’t have pics but essentially it’s just 3-4 inches of substrate which is a mix of eco earth and sand, some of my enclosures also have moss but most don’t. I also have 1-2 pieces of cork bark or something to act as a hiding place and a water dish.

Teds ts and Inverts

Arachnobaron
I guess the set-ups. And that's the same substrate I use for my two trapdoors and my two pedes. So I'd say we're on the same page in that department :)

NYAN

Arachnoking
Good to know, and I think Ken The Bug Guy has some heros arizonensis for sale, but they're kinda pricey like you said.
Yeah I saw that actually also. I paid $220 for one of mine... shipping cost sucks lol. Price has gone down since then. They are great Pedes, I have 3 heros.

NYAN

Arachnoking
I guess the set-ups. And that's the same substrate I use for my two trapdoors and my two pedes. So I'd say we're on the same page in that department :)
Yeah, I would add some sphagnum moss even since it’s a more tropical pede. I should probably do that also.

Teds ts and Inverts

Arachnobaron
Yeah, I would add some sphagnum moss even since it’s a more tropical pede. I should probably do that also.
Will do, and I currently live in Illinois and the shop is located to where I'm moving to (Tennessee) in a couple weeks. My dad said that I wont be getting anymore animals until we move into the new house and get settled in. So I'll let you know how everything turns out :)