scolopendra subspinipes de haani, male or female?

ornata

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
hi

some pictures of my specimen, maybe some can tell me if it is a male or a female!?

thank you:)

cheers

Mr. Mordax

Arachnoking
Old Timer
If it lays eggs, it's a female. That's about the only way to find out in the hobby (sorry).

Beautiful specimen, by the way! :drool:

MasamuneX7

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Simply by the way it "looks", I'd say it's female. There's no certain way of sexing living subspinipes though.

ragnew

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Simply by the way it "looks", I'd say it's female. There's no certain way of sexing living subspinipes though.
What would make you think it's a female based on it's look? Are there different features that each sex exhibits to help with identification? I'd like to know for my own good as well, haha.

All of my Sc. subspinipes look identical to each other. Well of course aside from color and size that is.

MasamuneX7

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
What would make you think it's a female based on it's look? Are there different features that each sex exhibits to help with identification? I'd like to know for my own good as well, haha.

All of my Sc. subspinipes look identical to each other. Well of course aside from color and size that is.
From the centipedes that I've seen that were definite male or female, I'd say there's very slight difference in the head/body segment width ratio. Males have a slightly bigger difference between head and body segment width, whereas it's closer for females. This is only observing the plates from above, so it being fat has nothing to do with it. Basically, females appear thicker. Also, I noticed, as someone else has also pointed out, the males have longer antennae and legs in proportion to their bodies. The differences are very slight. It'd be a guess just looking at one unsexed adult subspinipes, but if you gave me a picture of two of them from a top down view and told me one was a male and one was a female, I'm pretty sure I would identify them correctly.

ragnew

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
From the centipedes that I've seen that were definite male or female, I'd say there's very slight difference in the head/body segment width ratio. Males have a slightly bigger difference between head and body segment width, whereas it's closer for females. This is only observing the plates from above, so it being fat has nothing to do with it. Basically, females appear thicker. Also, I noticed, as someone else has also pointed out, the males have longer antennae and legs in proportion to their bodies. The differences are very slight. It'd be a guess just looking at one unsexed adult subspinipes, but if you gave me a picture of two of them from a top down view and told me one was a male and one was a female, I'm pretty sure I would identify them correctly.
Cool, thanks much for the info. I do appreciate it.

ornata

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
can you take/ post some pictures were it is possible to see this?

I realy want to know if mye specimen is a male or female!