• The Report forums are closed to new reports.

Please use our new Reviews & Reports section to leave reports.

Information on how to use our new Reports section can be found in our Tutorials forum.

Scolopendra subspinipes.....and S. dehaani

Nich

Curator of glass boxes
Old Timer
Well, after very carefull examination, and shark caging....I decided to give it a whirl.
i assumed my fatter orange leg to be a femal by behavoir and terminal legs, I also aquired a "seem to be" male of the "thailand: variety. Afte carful inspection of the terminals, head and precursing segments they were seemingly just color morphs. Though they could very well be different sp. or ssp.

The "male" was introduces and divided by a pane of glass. Both became highly alert immediatley. THe suppsed female struck some very "aggressive" poses which made me a bit leery, arching her head, first 4 legs, and alternating segments...is 3 legs grounded....3legs up....ect. with the terminals and last pair almost vertical, i tried to photograph this but she did it in a twitchy manner and I was using one hand to shoot and the other to hold a spoon to seperate them if it got nasty.The "male" was going nuts, I had previously swaped the peat from each enclosure prior to the intro to cue the presence of one another. From there the "male" wriggled past the pane an made a b-line towards the female. Then the "female" walked casualy about as the "male" felt out the terminals of the "female". The she struck the strange pose with alternating legs up and grounded......then something fascinating....she walked backwards and the locked tail segments and did a complete roll while interlocked with the male. I still dont know if they were fighting or uhem....."frolicking"! They repeated this several times and after that the male did nothing but try to climb out. Niether ever made head contact or even tried to bite. This is my first breeding attemp and i think they may not even be the same sp.....:? Here are some photos to inspect, For all the pede vets out there....Is this pede domination....or pede mating? LOL.....It was so interesting watching them. Hereare some crappy photos...the whole event was very fast, and the "hookups" lasted mere second or less. So the pics are horrible. Plese let me know what this looks like:worship:
The pics are in sequence...pacing....inspecting....the first sign of receptiveness.....the intial contact...and what I hope was a hookup. I may of just watch them wrestle....;)

Attachments

Nich

Curator of glass boxes
Old Timer
Wow, Im glad to see the pede hobby has exploded......lol...jk
To update i hav eno pics but this resulte din about 22 juvis, I only know of two that are around, both around 5" and showing the same colors as the mother. Parthon gen....a sex, coupling...who knows....other than the few who i thought would respond.